Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Recommended Reading?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    I'm a fan of the What To Expect... series. Light reading, but highly informational.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    1) What to Expect Books
    2) Nursing Mother's Companion
    3) Gina Ford's Complete Sleep Guide
    4) Baby Wise books
    5) Dr. Spock's Baby & Childcare

katef Guest
    Thank you all very much for the recommendations! I think a trip to Dymocks or online is in order after work!

With regards the the LLL meetings, I am definitely interested in these, but will actually be leaving HK around 20 weeks pregnant so will look out for meetings in my new city.

Thanks very much again - this forum is so helpful and I've learned a lot already!

Taitam is offline Banned
    Tai Tam
    "The happiest baby on the block" is invaluable for colicky babies, it saved me many times! And I think the best no-nonsense reference book for new parents is "Heading home with your newborn: from birth to reality" - it's written by two pediatrician moms - it's to-the-point (so important when you're exhausted!), realistic and funny. My main advice is read up on the baby and breastfeeding more than the pregnancy!

JayJay is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Here's a list of books that I purchased. The 2nd one is especially useful for me as the father. I would highly recommend it to any other expectant dads. Ladies, getting this for your partner will be beneficial to you. He'll be more receptive and understanding during the pregnancy!

The Joy of Pregnancy: The Complete, Candid, and Reassuring Companion for Parents-to-Be
    by Tori Kropp
    US$2.00 (about HK$15)

The Expectant Father: Facts Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be
    Armin A Brott; Jennifer Ash
    US$10.60 (about HK$80)

Double Duty: The Parents' Guide to Raising Twins, from Pregnancy through the School Years
    Christina Baglivi Tinglof
    US$11.99 (about HK$90)

Twins 101: 50 Must-Have Tips for Pregnancy through the Early Childhood From Doctor M.O.M.
    Khanh-Van Le-Bucklin
    US$11.99 (about HK$90)

FYI, I bought the Kindle Editions from so that's why the prices are I listed are rather inexpensive. I don't even have a Kindle. I just read them off my phone and PC.

katef Guest
    Thanks Jay
    That's very useful to get an opinion from the Dad's perspective and a good tip about buying the Kindle version too!

BLWC is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi there and congrats, I can see you've had a lot of recommendations already but wanted to throw in my top tips. I was also worried about conflicting advice and there were a lot of times that I threw my hands up in the air with despair because my baby just didn't fit the mould many of the books described. He's now 10 months old and thriving despite my occasional moments of paralysis so I guess we did something right!

My picks for pregnancy are Up the Duff and a book simply called Birth (I can't remember the author's name but they have a website and for Dad's-to-be we read "The Birth Partner" (a gift from a midwife friend), it was quite detailed but really thorough. My bible since my son was born is another Aussie book called Baby Love, by Robin Barker. I don't agree with everything she says but it's still a great reference book. The American version is available here at Dymocks. Good luck with it all!

katef Guest
    Thank you so much for all the recommendations! Really helpful!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12