Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommended Reading?

katef Guest

Question Recommended Reading?

Hi!
    Again, a newcomer who is after help and advice from the voices of experience here on Geobaby.

I am 6 weeks pregnant with my first child and am completely clueless about…well, everything pregnancy and child-related!

So far, this forum has been a mine of useful information on pregnancy in HK, and a general trawl around some UK-based parenting sites has also turned up quite a bit of stuff.

I was wondering though, which books the experienced Mums here would recommend for a total baby-novice like me? What have you found to be your ‘Baby Bible’ of choice, ideally covering pregnancy, birth and onwards?
    Everyone seems to have a different opinion on what is useful and what isn’t, and one friend who recently gave birth for the first time advised me that all pregnancy and baby guides were dreadful, likely to be guilt-inducing and best avoided altogether! Is she right? Or do I need to do a little book-based research to complement the internet-trawling?

What are your favourites? Which would you recommend and which would you avoid?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    it's such a matter of personal preference & i think it's good to find a book/writer/website whose philosophy & approach you generally agree with/are comfortable with and stick to that. I found that choosing one book & one or two websites avoided a lot of contradiction and conflict (not to mention confusion and paranoia) as there are so many different ideas out there.

For me, I enjoyed [I]prengancy & birth[I] by Kaz Cooke (the australian version is called Up the Duff, but I could only find the uk version here). it's fairly irreverant - a little bit preggo info, a little bit personal diary, a little bit info about the UK health system (not so relevant here...).

I looked at www.babycentre.com.au & subscribed to the Natural Parenting Newsletter (http://www.naturalparenting.com.au/) & found them both very useful.

hope you find something that suits you!

katef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lalligirl View Post
    For me, I enjoyed [I]prengancy & birth[I] by Kaz Cooke (the australian version is called Up the Duff, but I could only find the uk version here). it's fairly irreverant - a little bit preggo info, a little bit personal diary, a little bit info about the UK health system (not so relevant here...).
    Thanks for that and funnily enough, I picked up 'Up the Duff' in a second hand book shop yesterday but have yet to start it! I thought it might be good to start with something a little lighter in weight and tone and work my way up gently!

I'm finding an overwhelming amount of facts, old wives tales and expert information on every single aspect of pregnancy and childbirth that I've researched so far. I really like the idea of restricting things to one or two sources though, that's a great tip. I'm scared that I'll be so confused with all the conflicting advice that I'll end up paralysed with indecision!

CFM
    CFM is offline Registered User
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    My sister in law bought "The Mayo guide to a healthy pregnancy" for me. It was a great book - fairly factual about what was happening to the little prawn all the way through and sensible advice about when to call the doctor and what not to panic about. I thought it was pretty good. Covers only your pregnancy though, a little bit on childbirth options, but not really anything about baby care.
    I was given an old copy of "what to expect when you're expecting" and i pretty much put it down and never picked it up again after reading a small section on nutrition in pregnancy and I remember the phrase being something along the lines of "...you should ask yourself before every mouthful, is this the absolute best I can give to my baby?...." Whilst I understand the importance of good nutrition, I didn't need to have a guilt trip about everything! I felt the book was written in a bit of a patronising way, although I'm sure for some it is a great resource.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Congratulations on your pregnancy.

If you are thinking about breastfeeding I suggest that you look at the book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, http://www.shopinhk.com/the-womanly-...r-4850866.html.

It is also available to borrow from the La Leche League Hong Kong library. There are many other books of interest to new mothers in the library. The books range from birth, breastfeeding and parenting, including special situations. The full library details are available at http://www.lllhk.org/Library.html

And of course we encourage mothers-to-be to attend the meetings. The article, Why La Leche League? at http://www.lllhk.org/WhyLLL.html explains why attending meetings may be helpful for you. The meeting schedule is available at http://www.lllhk.org/Meetings.html

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

mcdill is offline Registered User
    I also used the Mayo guide to healthy pregnancy and found it useful.

CFM
    CFM is offline Registered User
    I can also second the womanly art of breastfeeding. (should have put that in my post before!)
    I think that your pregnancy and birth happens the way it is 'going to happen' to some extent but the best advice I ever got was to read up on breastfeeding. It is so important to know how the correct latch should look, feel etc so that you can get started straight away.
    Thankfully my little girl seemed to know exactly what to do and I was completely chilled and relaxed about it, which REALLY helped, but I credit most of that with having being 'prepared' in a way - mostly by reading that book. WELL worth a read!

rani is offline Administrator
    We sell the Mayo Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy

and many other Pregnancy books on ShopinHK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast