Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Transporting Breast Milk Help!

BabyG is offline Registered User

Transporting Breast Milk Help!

We are moving to a new house and I would like to take my frozen stash of milk with me. How do I pack and transport it? I read somewhere that packing it in an eski with dry ice should keep it frozen. Has anyone done this or have experience transporting their milk? Where can I get the dry ice?

wenyihsu is offline Registered User

I have no idea where to buy dry ice in HK but depending on how far you are travelling, if you have an ice box and just fill it with ice and ice packs, this should keep your breast milk frozen for I'd say 30 minutes. But yes, if you have dry ice, it is the best. I was able to move frozen breast milk from Taipei to Hong Kong using dry ice in styrofoam boxes.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I have a baby in NICU and have to transport the milk frozen each day. I do it in a small esky packed with ice bricks - also my freezer is on the coldest setting just to help it all stay frozen. The longest that it's taken me to get to the hospital is an hour (bad traffic), and I could take 12 bottles each with about 100-150mL in each of them, and they all stayed frozen. I wouldn't bother with dry ice unless you wouldn't be able to reach your new place in an hour, or unless you had a huge stash.

hkmom1 is offline Registered User

If you need to keep it frozen longer, you can actually special order dry ice from Haagen Daz and put it all in an esky. I've had to bring back frozen milk from business trips and the dry ice keeps it frozen for 8 some hours.

BabyG is offline Registered User

Thank you ladies for your input. hkmom1, how much did Haagen Daz charge for the dry ice?

hkmom1 is offline Registered User

They were nice and gave it to me for free :D. I did buy some ice cream, win win!