Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HELP! white layer in baby's mouth - what to do?

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Smile HELP! white layer in baby's mouth - what to do?

Hi Ladies,

Need your help again! My baby has this white layer in the inside of her cheeks and on the inner part of her lip. My mom says it's called "thrush" and she needs medication to be treated. I don't recall ever seeing it with my 1st baby - what should I do? Leave it? See a peadiatrician? I hate going to the doctors for something when I don't need to - any advice? Is it "normal"? What is it? Should I be concerned?

Thanks! :)

southside852 is offline Registered User
    babies often get thrush in their mouths and in their butt (like a severe diaper rash). go get it checked out by pediatrician. they will give you medication and it will clear out. no need to panic - it's treatable.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    If you're breastfeeding, I'd definitely get it checked - because if it IS thrush, she can pass it to you too and it is EXTREMELY painful!! If you treat it early though it's not too bad - but I would definitely go get it checked by the doctor, just in case!!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    thanks - will get it checked! i'm not breastfeeding anymore sothat is a plus. I knew I could count on you guys for help! Thanks!

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    Yes, go and get it checked. My son got it when he was around 10 months old and at the beginning I mistook them as some milk stains but as I saw the whitish area was getting bigger then I recalled I have read a book talking about the similar symptoms so I brought him to a doc and yes he's got 'thrush' (or "yeast infection"). The doc prescribed some drop (pretty nice taste!) for me to wipe on the whitish area. Around a week they were all gone. Don't wait as they won't go away themselves but will only get worse. AND, don't try to rub the white bit off as they will bleed...