Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

9 wks and stressed out

Martina7777 is offline Registered User

9 wks and stressed out

I heard the great and greater stories about the care in Queen Mary Hospital, so
    I called Queen Mary Hospital to make a appointment for my first check up, but it was a shocker.
    First I have to go to Tsan Yuk hospital to bring my passport, my husband passport, (I am not HKID holder) pay HK$ 36 000 as deposit, bring the tuns of other document and only then I can have my first check on baby. The delivery is then in Queen Mary, but other care is in Tsan Yuk.

I know that because I am not HKID holder and I dont have insurance which is valid in Hong Kong that I will pay something, but 36 000 HK$ straight away before first appointment seems a bit steep for the public hospital.

Can anybody give me advice where else is good prenatal care?

thank you
    martina

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Any private hospital of your choice based on your own needs and likings. I used Dr. Patrick Chan and delivered naturally (with epidural and without other intervention) at the Matilda (stayed in a 4 bedder ward). The total cost for the entire pregnancy (including pre-natal check-ups & tests) worked out to be around $80 000. If you used a doctor in Kowloon or N.T. the pre-natal care is cheaper. A lot of hospitals on the Kowloon side also offer a pre-natal package so you could look into their individual packages.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Portia is offline Registered User
    You can get prenatal care from any private Ob/Gyn, but when it comes to booking a hospital, I think you may find yourself faced with a hefty deposit anyway because you are not a HKID card holder. Even for us HKID card holders, it was a $20K deposit to secure a private hospital place.

Cherina is offline Registered User
    I think it will be really expensive wherever you go. Because of the high number of mainland Chinese women coming to HK to deliver their babies the government introduced high charges for non HK residents to ease pressure on the public hospital maternity departments.
    If you can get a HK id card the charges will be a lot lower. Does your husband work in HK? if so you can easily get a dependents visa.

If you can not get a HKID card I recommend you go to a private hospital because the cost will not be so much higher than at the Queen Mary.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i paid a deposit for HK Sanatorium 20K and also for the first baby at Matilda around that amount if I recall correctly as a HK resident. went to QM private sector for 2nd pregnancy (initially at least) and the costs are similar to private practices outside...BUT the checks were at QM and not Tsan Yuk. cost wise all private places are comparable, only difference would be with the type of room you are staying in (which they cannot guarantee and is dependent on what is available the day you deliver - I had a choice between deluxe and 4 people sharing -with insurance I took deluxe...only because i didn't want to share a bathroom and I had maternity coverage)...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Yeah, I wouldn't want to pay so much for the hk public care, not after going through have my pregnancy already in it. I think for non hkid holders you will have to pay close to $50k all in all, no? For that price, you can deliver in a private hospital. If you are married, you should apply for the Hkid asap. That way, even if you do end up paying a deposit, you can apply for a refund after you get your ID.
    But if you are not planning to get one, I would look into private care.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Don't you run the risk of prices escalating with complications though? I'm going through the public system but a friend of mine went private last year, had to have an emergency c-section, and the total cost of her delivery was something like $150k I think...(that was with Deluxe room at Matilda though).

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    My delivery alone at Matilda - normal delivery but with an epidural and a shared room was over $100K 10 months ago. I agree it is a gamble going private as every little thing costs. One of our friends had major complications at Matilda and her bill was $250K! Going in thinking around $80K and ending up with $250K plus would be one heck of a shock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast