Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

big baby, c section or not?

tina2309 is offline Registered User

big baby, c section or not?

I had a scan on Monday and the doctor told me that the baby is very big.
    His head is already 35,5 cm. My due date is in one week.
    He said that it will be a bit difficult to give birth naturally. Should I try to give birth?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    It's a totally personal decision. Personally, If I can do it vaginally and avoid surgery, I would, but if otherwise advised then I need to think twice. I did vaginal with first and then my 2nd was much bigger. I had 3rd degree tear with my first and changes of another my tear and in the same spot were very high. I was advised by my Singapore and my US OB/GYN to have a c-section since episitomies are not performed as regularily these days. For my US OB to suggest it meant serious business as US doctors rarely advise c-sections. I gave birth month ago and am so glad I did c-section as my son was almost 4 kg (almost 9 lbs) and there is no way I could have fit that through!

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    The first thing i would say is if the size prediction is based purely on the scan and there is no other reason to think the baby is big, then I would be doing some research because these late scans are notoriously unreliable; i know and know of so many people who got told their baby was a certain size (big and small, but particularly big) and they were the complete opposite. So if you don't have any other complications such as gestational diabetes then opting for a c section just on that one estimate is a bit extreme and I would certainly be asking more questions, particularly if this isn't your first baby and you have given birth vaginally before. On Southsides comment re tearing, I had episiostomy with my first due to forceps and tore in the same spot for the 2nd (but ony 2nd degree so I understand her concern totally), did not even feel it at the time and recovered from it very very quickly much quicker than the episio.
    Secondly it is pretty rare for women to grow a baby they can't birth. I had a 4.5kg (10lb) baby and birthed no problem, plus i was induced as 10 days overdue so labour was maybe a bit quicker (hard to tell) And I am only 5ft3 and small build. That was my second though, my first was 3.8kg and was a much harder birth in many ways. So all i'm saying is that a big baby does not necessarily equal a difficult birth even though lots of obs in HK seem to suggest it does.
    It is your decision obviously, just make sure you have got all the info to make it an informed one.

sea princess is offline Registered User

natural versus csection

I think that if it's based on a late scan, don't let it deter you from a natural birth if that's what you want to do. Some women have small babies and their pelvis doesnt cope with it, so it's really an unknown until D day!

I had a 4.4kg baby naturally with tearing and didnt recover that well afterwards from the birth, but would opt to go that way again. I am due to have my second any minute and am told it's atleast the same size again if not bigger. I am not opting for a CSection myself as I dont really want abdominal surgery.
    Remember, it's your choice regardless and you have to be comfortable with it especially if there's no real clear cut medical reason as to why you need a CS.

Good luck.

tina2309 is offline Registered User
    This is my first baby and month ago the doctor in Japan already told us, that the aprox. weight of the baby will be around 4kg. But I never expected that it will be big like this. How much he can grow in one week?

My husband somehow force me to make a decision for c section or not, he doesnt want me to suffer too long in labour. The doctor in HK also check my belly with hand and said that the baby is big. Maybe for asian standard it is really big.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I'd agree with the others, it's a personal decision but it's your decision not your husband's or your doctors (unless there is a specific medical reason). I was told my baby was big from a scan but he was 3.6kg when he was born 12 days overdue so not really very big at all so I don't think those scans are all that reliable.

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    I was told that my baby was big too, but when I questioned the doctor he said the scan measurements get more unreliable the further up the percentile the baby is. He estimated over 4kg. I opted to be induced a week early to maximise my chance of a natural delivery. The baby was 3.5kg. I had to have an episotomy but it healed really well. With number two I went down the same route and he was just under 4kg. I had a very small tear which also healed well.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I personally would rather try for a natural birth and then end up with an emergency C if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary. Yes a scheduled C is better than an emergency - but the recovery from a natural birth is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than recovery from a C. If you're worried about the pain, you can probably have an epidural... I would never decide to have a C when there's even a chance that it's not completely necessary...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast