Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tutor Time in Braemar Hill or Island Children Montessori School in Tin Hau???

Giana Chiu is offline Registered User
    Agree with GoogleBaby on the comment about Tutor Times. My daughter spent about 6 months at their playgroup. It was extremely commercial! I felt that her English teacher, in particular, had no heart in teaching babies. Some teachers just followed all the "steps" the school required, such as "pretending" to talk to/ play with the babies and parents. Personally, I did not see the passion through their eyes and expressions.

The school organized a lot of activities to please the parents but some of them did not make sense. E.g. A talent show was organized for babies from Playgroups and other higher classes (participation was voluntarily) and some babies were so young that they couldn't even walk. The parent of a baby needed to pay for $500 for an ticket and a DVD. If you want to bring one more adult, you have to pay another $300. I think the idea of having babies less than 1.5-year-old for a Talent Show is too ridiculous and commercial.

To be fair, their administration is good, and parents get newsletters, emails, reports often. If you like these kind of updates, you may appreciate the school.

I'd like to know other parents' view on Island Children Montessori School (ICMS), Kornhill International and Discover Montessori School (Sheung Wan) as I am considering switching to another Playgroup.

Giana Chiu is offline Registered User
    Agree with GoogleBaby on the comment about Tutor Times. My daughter spent about 6 months at their playgroup. It was extremely commercial! I felt that her English teacher, in particular, had no heart in teaching babies. Some teachers just followed all the "steps" the school required, such as "pretending" to talk to/ play with the babies and parents. Personally, I did not see the passion through their eyes and expressions.

The school organized a lot of activities to please the parents but some of them did not make sense. E.g. A talent show was organized for babies from Playgroups and other higher classes (participation was voluntarily) and some babies were so young that they couldn't even walk. The parent of a baby needed to pay for $500 for an ticket and a DVD. If you want to bring one more adult, you have to pay another $300. I think the idea of having babies less than 1.5-year-old for a Talent Show is too ridiculous and commercial.

To be fair, their administration is good, and parents get newsletters, emails, reports often. If you like these kind of updates, you may appreciate the school.

I'd like to know other parents' view on Island Children Montessori School (ICMS), Kornhill International and Discover Montessori School (Sheung Wan) as I am considering switching to another Playgroup.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I posted 2 years ago about my then limited experience with ICMS. Since then, that daughter has graduated from casa and is off to primary this year. My 2nd daughter has a physical disability and has been with them for about 18 months - she will start Casa in September at the east campus. We've had a very positive experience with them with both of the kids - it's not a perfect school but no school is. Particularly for my 2nd daughter, they have been very understanding and flexible, willing to try to make it work when other schools couldn't be bothered even trying. We get online newsletters each week and the correspondence with the class teacher is pretty good too. The kids were super happy. The main criticism I've heard about the school is that it's not "true Montessori" but honestly I have them in the school because it's a good school, not because I have any allegiance to Montessori method specifically. I'm currently pregnant with my 3rd child and plan to put her through ICMS too if I can!

Can PM me for more specific questions, or I'm happy to answer here as well.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Different parents have different experiences at schools depending on the teacher I think. My experience with Tutortime for two kids at two different campuses (Caine Rd. and Braemar Hill) have been different. Is it expensive, yes, is it commercialized - to an extent yes. But all the teacher's that we have had (especially in Nursery and K1 class) have really cared a lot about my kids and totally taught with a heart. The maximum number of kids in a class is 20 to 2 teachers and 1 teaching assistant. The ratio is very good if you compare it to some local schools that have 30 kids in a class. My kids loved their teachers and the teachers were very thoughtful and cared about our kids. The talent show, though maybe not appreciated by playgroup parents as much is a highlight for nursery and K1 children. They practiced for months and my kids were soooo excited to get the chance to perform on stage. It was truly memorably for us even if the tickets were a few hundred each. As for the Scholastic books - yes, probably expensive - but not a requirement to buy. I've not once bought from the program. So for our family, I would say Tutortime really worked and now my son is happily at HKIS!

Jomama is offline Registered User
    Gina, my boy is in DMS (Discovery Bay) and it is a great school. My son has been there since 1 year old and he just entered Casa (K1 equivalent) last week. They follow the Montessori system and the teacher is caring and firm at the same time, which is great for my son and exactly what he needs.

I have never been to their Sheung Wan campus but the school often transfer their best teachers there (i guess since there's more competition in town). Their pre-nursery class teacher is amazing and singlehandedly toilet trained the entire PN class, from what i heard. She's the original teacher i met when i visited DMS in DB when i was pregnant with my boy, but she has then transferred to SW when that campus opens. Apologies that i've forgotten her name but if you go to the school and ask for (that big caucasian) lady with a long waiting list for her Little Casa class, that's her :) I hope this helps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123