Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When do you have your last scan in the private system?

Liquorice is offline Registered User

When do you have your last scan in the private system?

Hi, I am 36 weeks this weekend. I am in the public system, the last ultrasound scan I had was months ago and I won't have another one.

I am wondering whether I should have one with a private doctor just to make sure that everything is well (also, because I like having them and seeing my baby).

In the public system they see you every two weeks but just to take your blood pressure, weight test your urine and measure your uterus. Is this the same in the private system? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything that should be checked.

KeHK is offline Registered User

I think it depends on the doctor. I'm in the private system and in my case (I'm 41 weeks today...), I started seeing the doctor every week from 37 weeks onwards and he did a scan EVERY single time to make sure everything is fine. I'm not sure if it's generally done like this, but my doctor told me that's what he always does.
    And since my insurance covers everything, I'm totally fine with his approach.

Good luck for your last few weeks! I hope everything goes well.

BeaMae is offline Registered User

I delivered in the public system and wanted to have a scan closer to my due date, so I went to my private doctor to have it done. I was scanned weekly after week 37 with my first child (in the US), mostly because my doctor was concerned about the baby's weight gain, or lack of it, and I ended up getting induced. So I felt more comfortable having a late scan with this pregnancy just to make sure that history was not repeating itself, and that this baby was gaining well. You can ask for a scan if you are concerned, but they may not give it to you unless they feel there is an issue.

yonge is offline Registered User

When I was in the private system, I had a scan at every visit - as the scans are billed separately from the consultations, which was fine when I was working and insured. Now, I'm no longer working and will be delivering in the public system and had my last scan last week at Tsan Yuk Hospital at 37 weeks. I will also be looking for a private doctor for additional scans as I have a history of IUGR. Any recommendations for doctors that are willing to just do the scan if they're not going to deliver you at a private hospital?

Thanks for all your responses. I think I'll go ahead and book one.

yonge is offline Registered User

Just made an appointment myself with Dr. Raymond Ng in Central. It's HK$500 for the consultation and HK$750 for the scan.

Really? That is good. The doctor I used last time charged $1800. I might try him.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

In my first pregnancy, my last scan was at 30 weeks. No real need for one much later than that, in my opinion.

In my 2nd pregnancy, I had a complicated pregnancy and had much more frequent scans since my daughter has a rare form of dwarfism - but even in that high-risk situation, my last scan was at 34 weeks, I think...

Anything after 30 weeks and it's much harder to get a clear picture anyway since the baby is so much bigger and there is relatively less fluid...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast