Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hygiene in public hospitals - experiences?

charade is offline Registered User

Thanks Cara... any input on how you got the birth plan done? Is there some specific format to be followed?

carang is offline Registered User

sorry, no idea. my first was born by emergency c-section and my second was a planned c-section with general anesthesia.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Carang / Kaikosmom, why did you have generals for your c-sections? Was it your choice or the aneasthetists recommendation? I'm not clear on the benefits / drawbacks versus an epidural or spinal block... Was it okay or would you do something different if you did it again?

rebekah is offline Registered User
    http://www.parentingweekly.com/pregn...-plan-list.htm here's one site for easy birth plan making. if you google birth plan you'll find lots of examples.

carang is offline Registered User

for me, i had suffered excruciating hip & back pain for the duration of my second pregnancy. i was in a wheelchair for 4 months out of an 8 month pregnancy. the anesthetist was concerned that an epi or a spinal would only exacerbate my problems, so he recommended general.

compared to my first delivery, emergency c-section where the epi didn't do the job properly, i would take the second again any day of the week and twice on sundays.

lisa88 is offline Registered User

Liquorice, I think the basic rule should be that a local or general anaesthetic is given based on medical reasons FIRST. Only if everthing is going fine would the mother be given the option of local or general anaesthetic. We see lots of TV programmes where mothers are deliveing babies under local anaesthetic for C-sections, those must be cases where there are no complications. With my delivery, as soon as the midwife and doctor told me that my baby was going into distress and had to be born immediately, I didn't argue and signed the consent forms for c-section. I didn't ask if they were doing a general or local anaesthtic. They put me to sleep and she was born literally 10 mins after I signed the forms. I think if they administered local, it would have taken longer. Added to that, I had further complications. Medical staff told me I lost almost 2 litres of blood during delivery and needed blood transfusions. I think the medical staff would have needed the mum to be completely asleep in order to do their job properly.

AmyH is offline Registered User

In my case, I had been induced and was in active labour for 24 hours with strong contractions every 1 - 2 minutes. The chord was wrapped around my daughters neck and she was getting distressed with every contraction. After 20 hours I had requested an epidural. To perform the c-section, they just topped this up and after the doctors made the decision to perform the emergency c-section she was born within 20 minutes. Had I not had the epidural, they would have had to give me a general anaesthetic.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Like above, I also already had an epidural (which didn't last long) in my spine, so when 22 hrs after my water broke and i had failure to progress labour naturally, the drugs were too strong and caused my baby to go into distress with each agonizing contraction, and his position wasnt great and unfixable, the doctor strongly suggested a c-section. My epicural simply got topped up in the operating theatre. A few times however, since the first two times I could still feel the doctors test for pain. It actually takes a while for them to do all the cutting, pulling and sewing. It wasn't nice at all. But seeing and hearing my baby screaming and all red like a little monster really made me beyond happy to be awake for the whole thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast