Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hygiene in public hospitals - experiences?

kaikosmom is offline Registered User

1) Did you call the hospital before going in? - I had a scheduled C/S but If you are going the natural way, you can either go there by your own means or call an ambulance if necessary. But women I knew who called ambulance were taken to TKO hospital first, monitored there and sent to UCH for the delivery
    2) Did you have to speak to someone through the intercom to enter the delivery suite? - as mentioned by Cara, you cannot go there by yourself. they will take you there from your ward when the time is right
    3) At what stage did you tell them your preference for breastfeeding - a few weeks before your due date, they will interview you regarding your preferences
    5) There's a list of things to take to government hospitals on this site... like maternity pads with string. Does the hospital insist on any of this stuff? I don't remember getting a list of what to take from the maternal health care centre. Does the hospital provide anything? - yes, you need to bring all listed in the paper they gave you the first time you registered. you can buy most of these in the convenience store inside the hospital
    6) Do you have to give them clothes for your baby or do they have standard hospital clothes? - you only bring the going home outfit for your baby, all are provided by the hospital. I also saw some bring mittens as the baby can have long nails and scratch himself

kaikosmom is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    Carang / Kaikosmom, why did you have generals for your c-sections? Was it your choice or the aneasthetists recommendation? I'm not clear on the benefits / drawbacks versus an epidural or spinal block... Was it okay or would you do something different if you did it again?
    Actually, I opted for the spinal block as that was what had been administered to me in my first earlier delivery by C/S and I believe has less side effects/risks. But unfortunately, that time, spinal block did not work for me. I can still lift my legs after several tries, so the last resort would be general anesthesia.

charade is offline Registered User

Thanks cara, rebekah and kaikosmom.

deasy_h is offline Registered User

Items to bring along (UCH)

Hi Charade,

It's kind of weird you didn't get the list from the maternal clinic since I've got one on my first visit.
    Here they are:
    1. Out patient card & consultation appointment slip issued by hospital
    2. Your & your husband ID cards
    3. 2 boxes of tissues, 1 packet of diapers for newborn baby and 2 large towels
    4. 2 packets of maternity sanitary pads (non adhesive), 2 bras, 2 elastic mesh briefs (can be bought at the Rehab Shop located at G/F of Block P)
    5. Basic personal necessities, such as drinking cup, slippers, face towels, toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet paper, soap, etc
    6. Wet wipes for baby or small plastic basin with a packet of cotton wool (for cleaning of baby's buttock)
    7. Woolen underclothes labeled with mother's name for the baby
    8. Bedside cabinet of postnatal ward can be locked, please bring your own lock & key if needed

I got the list around June 2010 and will ask for the last updated one when my delivery date's nearer.

Good luck!

deasy

carang is offline Registered User

MOST important personal necessities for mummies?

eye-patch (to block out the lights that are turned off around midnight and on again around 6am)
    and
    ear plugs!!!!

charade is offline Registered User

Thanks so much deasy. I think I must have lost the list. I asked them for another one at my last appointment but they couldn't find an english version. The nurse very kindly translated the Chinese list for me but going by your list she clearly missed out some things. Good to know some of it is available at the hospital store. Tried searching for the store in block s and couldn't find it... Now I know it's in P. thanks again
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234