Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

how many OBs do you see and when do you see them?

dingdongding is offline Registered User

how many OBs do you see and when do you see them?

Girls,
    During your pregnancy, how many OBs do you see before you decide on which one to choose? and when do you see those OBs?
    I just had my first OB visit today at 5+ weeks, I want to see a couple more to compare but just not sure when to go fo those visit? should it be after the hospital confirmation?

shuchisingh is offline Registered User

one... on a recco from a freind.

if you are going to look around then before hospital confirmation would be better.

yonge is offline Registered User

Depends on your family history. Does your family have a history of any complications - premature, multiples, low birth weight, etc.? If so, then just head straight to your local Maternal and Child Health Clinic, register with your HKID, proof of address and proof of pregnancy (I just brought along my positive pregnancy test) and let them assign you to the local hospital. The private hospital will send you to the public hospital anyway if you have major complications, because the public hospitals are the only ones really equipped to handle them. I wish I knew that first time around - would have saved myself a bundle of aggravation and money. You won't get a single OB, as you'll be seen by whoever is on duty, but the upside is that you'll get the right treatment. For example, given my previous history and family history, I'm being seen by the High Risk Ward at Queen Mary Hospital. And by the way, all the public ante-natal visits, tests and scans are free for HK residents. After the birth of your child, you can register him/her for HK$1 at the same MCHC, where they will administer all their necessary vaccinations and chart their development. They also provide up-to-date parenting and breastfeeding advice, and many will actually have a lactation nurse and nursing room on-site. I found them to be much more up-to-date than many private OBs and pediatricians!

I had gone to two different OB the first time around and unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend them. For one thing, the waits were just as long as at the public clinics. Also, the consultations are very short. I got most of my advice from books, other moms, forums, MCHC etc. - not the private doctor. They just don't have the time!

banane76 is offline Registered User

I went on the recommendation of my private GP and some friends. I like my doctor a lot and I'll be going the public route for the delivery. I choose to go to my antenatal appts at the private OB as well because I want to fully understand my scans and it's just worth it to me to have a bit of special care leading up the birth. I see Dr. Patrick Chan in Central. After my 20week scan I'll be making an appt with Tsan Yuk to get back into the public system.

babyblue#1 is offline Registered User

one on recommendation of family members..
    yeah u should look around before deciding on hospital. and depends on ur budget too... OB charge differently for delivery.. my OB is gonna charge me 20k for delivery with no complication and i heard there are some OB charge like 40k for it or more..

dingdongding is offline Registered User

thanks for all your feedback. A few of my friends delivered at Matilda and recommend the hospital. Since Matilda takes booking only from 9weeks onwards, I am thinking of securing the space through one OB first then try out other OBs. I am afraid that there might be some problems when two OBs try to book the room at the same time.
    Am I right in thinking this way? But if I don't get confirm for Matilda, will it be too late to book other hospitals? I am new to HK hospital system and would use any advise you can offer.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

actually i had two doctors booking for me at the one hospital, but only on1 of the 2 could secure a room for me, so it's OK. you should get an idea from matilda shortly after your doctor / the nurse calls in - if you're really worried I would book at another hospital at the same time - and then cancel one of the two...you will most likely be asked to pay a deposit at which time you can check to see where you are in the line for a room at matilda and then judge whether or not you should wait. normally they will give you a good idea of how possible it is to get a room...

Scroll to top