Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

typical procedures at a prenatal visit in HK?

dingdongding is offline Registered User

typical procedures at a prenatal visit in HK?

What typically happens during a prenatal visit in HK (private doctor)? During my first visit, the doctor/nurse did not take my blood pressure or weight me, is that normal? In the U.S., these are standard things to be done at each visit. Just wondering what HK doctors normally do...

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    I don't think that's normal. I had to give a urine sample and have my weight and blood pressure checked at every visit (also private). My doctor does not scan at every appointment unlike a lot of HK ob/gyns but I was very happy with the number of scans and thought he did them at the right points in my pregnancies. He used a doppler and checked the position of the baby at the appointments where he didn't scan in addition to the urine/weight/blood pressure checks.

yonge is offline Registered User
    With my first, my private doctor in HK would take my weight and do a scan at every visit, but not necessarily take my blood pressure or urine sample at every visit. Scans are charged separate from the consultation, so most private doctors will do a scan at every visit.

With my third, my public doctor in HK would take my weight, blood pressure, and urine sample as well as monitor the baby's heartbeat using a doppler at every visit. Scans are scheduled as and when appropriate or necessary. There are no charges for any antenatal consultations, tests or scans in the public system.

I wasn't pregnant when I was in the US, but I do find the Hong Kong public health system pretty extraordinary. Private hospitals all send patients with major complications to the public hospitals, which are the only ones really equipped to handle them. Strangely, 60% of the medical staff is employed in the private system to treat only about 10% of the population, but the best care is actually found in the public system, especially at the teaching hospitals. Wish we have such a system in the States!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I had bp and urine sample every appointment but not weight - I think they weigh and measure to monitor foetal growth where a scan isn't standard for every appointment, a scan is more accurate.

crystalhy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by yonge View Post
    With my first, my private doctor in HK would take my weight and do a scan at every visit, but not necessarily take my blood pressure or urine sample at every visit. Scans are charged separate from the consultation, so most private doctors will do a scan at every visit.
    I reckon the private docs do a scan every visit just to charge you more..

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Strangely, the first few times I went for a check-up at the public hospital clinic they also checked my height as well as my weight. Not exactly sure how much that would change!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalhy View Post
    I reckon the private docs do a scan every visit just to charge you more..
    Of course they do! It's no coincidence that the cost of all your private appointments plus a no complications delivery at Matilda costs about the same as most corporate maternity coverage amounts (give or take a few thousand) :-)