Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Recommendation for a Lactation consultant

yonge is offline Registered User
    LLL will also come to your home for free for just the cost of the roundtrip taxi fare. They did this for me about 5 years ago and it was a lifesaver, especially as a first-time mom, I was nervous about just getting out of the house with a newborn. If you're willing to venture out with your baby, you can also register him/her at the local Maternal and Child Health Clinic, where there's usually a lactation nurse and a breastfeeding room. Then, you can visit during the Baby Wellness times and get advice there for free. They also administer all the necessary vaccinations and assess your child's development until school age for free.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I think the home visit is 750-800, can't remember...but they both offer packages of 5 visits so you save a little bit. With your first baby, it's such a great service so you don't have to leave your house. Hulda even came and did the PKU test for our baby which cost 390 (last year) for the test. It's to test if your baby has any protein allergies.

sblossom is offline Registered User
    Thanks all, this is very helpful!
    Posted via Mobile Device

KathyKitzis is offline Registered User
    I also had twins at 32 wks and pumped for them. At this stage it is unlikely the baby will be able to breastfeed until around 35 weeks as your baby may not have developed the sucking reflex or be big enough to feed.
    I pumped every three hours until they came home but they were still too small even at 35 weeks.
    If I were you I would keep pumping every three hrs, try not to let the hospital give your baby a bottle (they can use a nasal feeding tube so you can try to let the baby suck even if it doesn't actually feed)
    and when the baby is home or big enough to feed then get a lactation consultant to help with latching. I used Yvonne Heavyside who was fantastic.
    Like Nicole said, if you need any help or advice regarding pumping or dealing with the NICU feel free to message me.

vguk is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much for all your suggestions, I will def call Mrs Chee, anything to help me with the pumping technique. Yes Nicole, my baby is at the NICU & looks like he will be there for at least 8 weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12