Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

direct Hire in HK...cancels contracts 1 day before visa collection date.

rs2000 is offline Registered User

direct Hire in HK...cancels contracts 1 day before visa collection date.

Hi All,

I hired a DH who had finished her contract and she handled all paper work herself. I paid around 500hk$ from the processing fee.
    I know its my mistake but I dont even have the copy of the contract we signed as she said it needs to be submitted to the immigration.

The date the embassy gave her was today i.e. 18th Nov. She called me yesterday saying that she cant join saying the job is not suitable for her blah blah. I agreed to cancel the contract and have asked her to collect the contract from immigration and bring them back to me today. I have typed in a release letter which I will make her sign.

The thing is that today is her last day of visa in HK. if she cancels her contract and cant find a new employer , she will have to fly back to phillipines. Now i am not sure how to handle this siutation. if she does not turn up today, how shallI go about cancelling the contract? and making her sign the document. can she create troubles for us?
    its her who called me and said she cant join

rani is offline Administrator
    Am confused. The date the "embassy" gave her is today. Are you referring to the Philippine Consulate? If so, then she hasn't handed the contracts to Immigration and the contract isn't valid yet.

sorry i mistyped it. today is the visa collection date from Immigration. she did show me the receipts of the application she filed. so the contract, i think, has been in process for a while and will be ready for collection today

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    if you have the receipt, then you can call immigration directly and give refence numver. if you explain the situation - that helper has cancelled the contract - they would tell you what letter they need. you can send them the letter directly with reference number stating that the cotract was cancelled before it started. it would also update your records.

since the helper never started with you, i doubt if they require a release letter.

thanks for the input. I unfortunately dont have the reference number. I do have her HKID and passport copy and have quoted the number in the letter and faxed it to immigration guys

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    That's all you need. Her name in full and HKID card number and your statement stating that the visa application needs to be cancelled and will not be picked up. That is what Immigration advised us to do when something similar happened to us.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love