Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Dr Jimmy Mak? at Hongkong Baptist Hospital?

ninimo is offline Registered User
    tks!! gracey how re u feeling? how many weeks now??
    i am heading in to week 18! i think i might have felt a bb kick last nite! a proper first one! but of coz i am still not 100% sure.. it feels like someone flicked me! but since no one else was around.. i assume its the BB!!!

Back to my sis .... i forgot to mention she stayed in the private single room.. not the deluxe as there is only 2 of those and they were all booked out! only the single rooms allow the bb to be wheeled in to the room and then the mother and visitors etcc can all hold, see, touch the bb.. also the mom can breast feed etcc.. and they dont take the bb until u tell them to! they also taught/helped my sis to breast feed as well!

the nurses were all v good..

mavislohsp is offline Registered User
    Hi ninimo,

Congratulations to your sis! Guess you must be enjoying the baby kick now! :)

By the way, is your brother in-law allowed in the operating theatre? Can you help find out the total bill from your sister? Although it is during CNY period, we could use it as a guideline... Thanks!

hi ya.. bro in law was allowed in.... total bill was around 120k... a bit more expensive than usual coz of the CNY period..... and she was in the private rooms..... only private/deluxe private rooms allow the bb to be wheeled in... all other rooms. u have to walk out to see bb or feed bb in the feeding room!

how are u girls doing?

hi ninimo, thank you for the info!

By the way, I did not pass the glucose tolerance test. According to the hospital, my reading are slightly higher than the standard. I seen the nutrition last week and she gave me the meal list to follow for a week, and I need to admit to the hospital on this coming friday, to let them carried out the test again each time after meals. They also want me to rent the glucose meter to measure my glucose level at home daily. Frankly, i dont really feel like going. It's so troublesome... and according to them, I am not serious case, just slightly over normal.

Did anyone have the same experience? Any advice?

hi ...
    oh sorrie to hear that.. i did taht test but didnt think much of it.. whcih hospital will u go to ? hk baptism? how long will u have to stay in hospital? i suppose they are scared yr glucose too high and not good for bb ?take care .. i dont know much at all about this.. sorrie cant help u there..

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I just visited the maternity ward at Baptist and I feel a little disappointed. It's like a mainland train station in there, with bunches of gruff men sitting around with giant suitcases and lots of women screaming on their cellphones in Putonghua. (BTW, I have nothing against Putonghua -- I'd be annoyed if they were screaming in any language). The shared public toilets are, uh, not good, and I don't blame the cleaning staff. The people left a mess.

What worried me was the fact that you cannot book a private room anymore. I wouldn't mind the behavior of the people outside if I could just shut a door. The nurse said they used to allow private room bookings, but not now. It's first-come, first-serve. And judging by how full it is (this is the second time I've tried to even view the maternity ward -- the first time was too busy) I doubt I'll get a private room.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't care about a private room. But at Baptist, they will only let baby stay with you if you're in a private room. Otherwise, you have to line up with about a dozen other people to see your baby through a glass window, and I bet that makes breast-feeding really hard.

I also checked out their -- don't know what to call it... labouring room? The place you go when your water's broken and you have contractions, but you're not quite ready to deliver yet. The berths are tiny. I asked the nurse where one could stand or walk around, and she just shrugged. "By the time you get to this point, you won't want to stand," she said.

I said I heard it might help speed up labor, but she wouldn't listen. "Women just lie down with the monitor on them."

Also, none of the rooms had any windows or sunlight. (Though I didn't see the private rooms, because they have been full every time I've tried).

I feel like I'm in a bind. I like my doctor and would like him to deliver. But I'm not sure about this place. That said, aside from maybe the very expensive Matilda, I don't know if any HK hospital is better.

Help from anyone?

u can try hong kong Sanatorium...

hi niniimo,

Thaank you for your concern. I admitted to day ward and able to leave the hospital after 2 tests ( Test 2 hours after breakfast & lunch) My glucose reading are good on both time, thank goodness!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast