Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do you all pay your helpers

lalila is offline Registered User

What do you all pay your helpers

What do you all pay all the good helpers we are interviewing are on 6000 is this normal?

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    NO! each contract should be based on 3880 + food allowance (if you choose to give it). if you want to give 6000 it is fine, but I would not put that on the formal contract because when they leave, the money you give them will be calculated based on 6000 and not 3880 (which is a BIG difference). For example, long service pay would be based on 6000, number of paid work days (if you are terminating contract before completion of contract) would also be based on 6000. Does the 6000 include food allowance? If you end the contract on good terms, then of course calculations based on 6000 would seem fine, however, if you end the contract on bad terms, then 6000 will seem to be alot but there is no turning back. it just seems more sensible to start with minimum pay and then add as you go on, when interviewing you could always tell them we will increase pay based on performance so it is not a given that they get 6000. i have a friend who pays their "good helper" 5000 a month...but of course, the amount is very personal. just make sure to protect yourself.

Of course you can always be generous because they are really really good, but just in case they are not

lalila is offline Registered User
    thank you very much for your detailed and so helpful reply makes a lot of sense thank you

carang is offline Registered User
    i thought it was $3580?

when we hired our helper, we paid her the minimum (with bonuses). upon each contract renewal, we've given her a raise. we have already signed 3 contracts with her and will have to sign another one in a couple months' time. she now earns $4000/month.

we have also hired her husband and brought him from Saudi Arabia to work for us. this is the first time they've lived together in almost 20 years! he earns minimum with bonuses, just as she did. he will also get a raise upon completion of this contract as he is a very diligent worker.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    The minimum salary is 3580 HK$, and the food allowance is 750 HK$ for every contract signed after the 8 september 2010 (it was 740 HK$ before and it does not change if signed before this date).
    We have decided to pay our helper 4700, including the food allowance, and will probably raise her salary around Christmas to 5000 as we are very satisfied with her work.

carang is offline Registered User
    i forgot to say that we pay the two helpers $2000/month for food allowance. we only started paying this when our second helper started with us as they preferred to eat together as a couple rather than eat our food with us. so, it really works out that they get $1000 each/month for food.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Minimum salary is $3,580 in Hong Kong. And I don't think that paying a higher salary will necessarily ensure that you are able to hire a "good helper" (maybe a "greedier" one?)

This is our helper's first time in Hong Kong, her first contract with us and she hasn't completed a full year yet. She earns $3,580/month and shares our meals with us--she definitely has access to food that equals more than $750 HKD--I am sure that with our family she consumes more than $1,000 HKD worth of food a month (and we're totally happy with that--she has gained weight since she's been here--but it's totally a good thing because I don't think she was very well-fed before she arrived).

We experienced what we consider to be a "windfall" in our finances this autumn and because we believe expressing thankfulness by being more generous than we have to be, we have given her a "13th month bonus"--this is a common practice in the Philippines, actually--employees receive an extra month salary at the end of the year which often goes to cover Christmas expenses. We made it clear that for now, this is a one-off bonus based on our ability to give one this year and it may not be the same situation next year. So, for the month of December she will receive (has already received in fact, because we paid her salary early) an extra $3,580 HKD.

We are so impressed with an pleased with her work and her attitude that we want to express that in a practical way. She has two small children in the Philippines and I think money is a practical way to say "Thank you for helping us keep our sanity by doing such an amazing job while working for us, really, without you we couldn't accomplish all the things we are able to."

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    yes yes...- it's 3580- the 3880 I pay includes food allowance (used to be 300)...sorry for the confusion!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast