Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Breastfed baby not gaining weight

rebekah is offline Registered User
    Hi Gataloca,

my daughter was also breastfed and has eczema (she's now 2.5, and still has it) I personally found that for her (and every baby is different) nothing I ate or didn't eat seemed to help. I eliminated nearly everything I could for a matter of months and there was no improvement. I did find that once her eczema was under control she slept better, which lead to less comfort nursing. I can recommend this site http://www.eczemacenter.org/eczema_center/ as it has some recommendations that differ from much of the "old school" ones you may come across here. (i.e. frequent bathing as opposed to very rare baths, etc.) and is all evidenced based/best practice oriented. I am happy to PM you specifics of what works for us, but those things may or may not work for you. I tried everything I could knowing that eventually something would work.

Also bear in mind that every baby grows at a different rate. he may be about to go through a growth spurt, or he may just be on the smaller side. MY daughter was 3.6kg at birth and now at 2.5 years is only about 11kg or so, but she has grown at her own consistent rate from 2 months onward. My personal advice after this is just to watch your baby. If he's meeting milestones and otherwise happy, I wouldn't worry TOO much about weight, provided he is gaining, even at a slower rate. Obviously talk to you ped or a lactation consultant if you need more info.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Thanks ladies!

I was a little bit concerned because my baby started with a good growth. His weight/length drop and his eczema really got me worried, specially since I got lot of pressure coming from my mom. Unluckily my baby was born in the the same month as my brother's baby and one of my cousin's grandson, so my mom got 2 other babies to compare my baby against to. For her, I am not doing a good job, and somehow seems to blame my baby eczema to my 2 cats.... so I am a bad mother for not getting rid of the cats. She sees my baby and would say: "see what you have done to your baby!"

Months ago she has been insisting that I should give formula to my baby... Reason? because my cousin's grandson was getting formula... What she didn't think was that they switched to formula because my cousin's daughter was pumping and her supply has reduced a lot, therefore, she had to introduce formula. My mom has also insinuate that my milk was not good enough, as I don't eat as much as she wanted me to....

rebekah is offline Registered User
    my mom was also my biggest detractor from Breastfeeding... I tuned her out and paid attention to my baby :) Try your hardest to ignore those that don't matter, pay attention to your doctor, lactation consultant, spouse, and most of all your baby and yourself.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Underfed???

I feel such an idiot right now.... I always thought that I had lot of milk, because my baby would fall asleep or pull out from my breast to entertain in some other thing. Most of the time, specially in the morning, he does not empty my breast completely.. that is why I thought I had more milk than what he needs.

Lately I have been using the compression technique that LLL_Sarah suggested, and to my surprise, he drank it all! I even offered him the other breast, and he drank avidly from there for a while!..... have I been starving my baby??? I feel like such a bad mom now....

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    Gataloca... we first time mothers try our best. i think what is important as parents is that we reach out for help when we feel inadequate, we listen, we implement and we solve the problem... nobody can do better. just my two cents...

all the best.

matemate is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gataloca View Post
    I feel such an idiot right now.... I always thought that I had lot of milk, because my baby would fall asleep or pull out from my breast to entertain in some other thing. Most of the time, specially in the morning, he does not empty my breast completely.. that is why I thought I had more milk than what he needs.
    you should feel proud for reaching out and seeking opinions that will help make things better going forward. no need to look back on whatever happened.

evelyne is offline Registered User
    I went through something similar as I struggled to exclusivly breastfeed my baby with a very low supply. He was not gaining and crying a lot. The day I introduced a formula top up he was happier than ever before. Yet I kept up my battle to minimise formula and give only the breast. When I did give him formula I did so through a lactation aid in an attempt to save the breastfeeding. Anyways I share with you the stress of a baby not gaining and the agony of feeling that we are starving our babies.

But now, 2 years down the road I have a tall happy healthy smart toddler who is a great eater and still takes the breast. There is a lot more to breastfeeding than just the milk. You have given a lot of love and should not have caused any long term trouble. Getting a little less for a while could be better than getting too much. He is only 4 months and has time to catch up. Take care of yourself and enjoy the ride that keeps going!

yonge is offline Registered User
    Glad to hear that he's taking in more milk. While it can be a blessing to have a baby that's so easily contented, it can be quite confusing when it come to feeding! The health assessments at the MCHC will also help to reassure you as the nurses and doctors there are very vigilant and will let you know if you have anything serious that needs to be addressed.

On your mother, are you able to tell her that she's not being helpful to you or your baby? For one thing, she's not respecting your choices and for another, comparing children (and grandchildren) is very unhealthy not just for her, but is negative to everyone involved. I had regular discussions with our parents on both sides to make sure that they understood how we felt about this as well as any other behavior that we felt was not constructive in the upbringing of our children. When stray comments do pop up from time to time, not necessarily from our parents anymore, but from other adults, we address this comments both to the adults as well as to our children who are within hearing now that they're old enough to understand. Where we can be polite, we will deflect them, but we will be sure to make it abundantly clear to our children that the views are not the views of their parents or anyone else who truly loves them. You might want to tackle this (when you have the energy) earlier rather than later.

On the eczema, we use Cetaphil for bathing and Ecolab aqueous cream to moisturize after every wash. We also wash the children's clothes and bedding in detergent and fabric softener that is specific for children. We like Kodomo, but we get our supply from Singapore: http://www.beautynscent.com.sg/. Another thing that we do use is a bit unusual is bittermelon. We heard it recommended by a confinement lady. Take a small piece, about 1 inch, of the bitterest bittermelon you can find - the small ones used for Indian cooking are PERFECT - and mash with a clean fork or mortar and pestle using a splash of boiling hot water. Allow to cool covered in the refrigerator so that it doesn't evaporate. Then, use a cotton pad to dab onto the rashes. I have absolutely no idea why it works, but it just does, so I thought I should pass the information on. We do keep topic steroids on hand for bad cases, but they have become more rare as we continue being vigilant about addressing any outbreaks as described above early and quickly.

Good luck with everything!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12