Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breastfed baby not gaining weight

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Breastfed baby not gaining weight

My baby has recently turned 4 months old. We went to his pediatrician and to the MCHC and noticed that he hasn't gained much weight since his last check up. 2 months ago, he was weighting around 5.38 kg. Yesterday his weight was just around 5.8 kg. This mean he dropped from 50 percentile to the bottom 3 percentile in 2 months. His length also has dropped from 97 percentile to 50.

His pediatrician was concerned that maybe he wasn't eating enough. I know that this may not be the case as I have lot of milk.. and by the way, my baby for sure would have let me know if he is still hungry. He said then said then he hopes that the drop is due to his bad case of eczema.

My baby usually eats around every 3 hours, although this last week he has been very fussy and has been eating more frequently (every 2 or even 1 hour)... don't know if the fussiness was related to the eczema or or growth spurt though. Anyway, at the MCHC, the midwife said that a baby his age should not be eating so frequently. She was concerned that when being fed so frequently the baby may eat too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk.

Actually I did have this foremilk/hindmilk imbalance concern months ago, as my baby would sometime chock when feeding, and his poop was sometime slightly green with a strong sour smell (like yogurt). What I did was to express some milk (around 1 once) before feeding, specially in the morning, when my breasts are very full.....

The MCHC said that although the baby can start eating solid, breastfed baby usually doesn't need to be weaned so soon.... but as my baby is not gaining enough weight, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to introduce him some solid?

Also I had some episode of mastitis, blocked ducts, milk blisters in the past, so I have been taking lecithin supplements. I am wondering... if the lecithin makes my milk "thinner", can it also reduce its fat content.... Could my baby been drinking "low fat" milk all this time? could this also be a reason why my baby is not gaining enough weight?
    Last edited by Gataloca; 11-20-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    When my baby was about 4.5-5 months old, He started feeding very often, like nearly every hour. I also feel he was getting more foremilk than hindmilk bc he was just drinking enough to be satiated.
    I can't remember his weight increases now, but I do remember that he started to fall a bit in the percentiles. He was very quick to gain weight at the beginning but then he started to fall a bit. I got a bit freaked out and as I was Back home visiting at the time, I couldn't take him to the clinic here. So a week before his 5th month, i decided to start feeding him solids. Actually, the amount and the frequency that you feed them is quite small compared to their milk feed, but I do believe it gave him that tiny bit extra.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    are you totally against introducing formula? I switched for BM to formula for my baby at 4mths - at 6mths now I am starting to introduce a little rice cereal, but it does not replace a bottle yet as she does not reallly like it so much. In my opinion formula is good for the baby too and you should not feel that you must breast feed...when you get stressed / worried, the level of milk will drop so that is not good either. just a thought though! seems to me formula than solids would be easier - especially since you have used the bottle with your baby already so your baby will not have to get used to something new (the spoon when eating solids).

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    The number of feeds a baby has doesn’t matter. Some babies like to have a few large feeds and others like to have lots of smaller feeds. It also doesn’t make much difference with how much fore milk and hind milk the baby gets – if anything a baby who drinks often and keeps the mother’s breasts less full will get more hind milk than a baby that allows the mother’s breasts to get full. It is how full or empty the breast is that determines the amount of fat in the milk not how long the baby has been feeding.

Sometimes, especially when the mother has an oversupply (and it sounds like you have one) the baby can not drink enough milk to empty the breast. One suggestion to help this situation is to put the breasts on a schedule. This means feed the baby whenever he wants to but swap breasts every three (or four) hours.
    e.g.
    From 6:00 am to 9:00 am feed on the left breast
    From 9:00 am to 12:00 noon feed on the right breast
    From 12:00 noon to 3:00 pm from on the left breast
    From 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm feed on the right breast
    Etc.

A baby behaviour that is very common at four months is getting distracted. The baby will start to feed and then something interesting happens and the baby pulls off. If this is happening to your baby try to cut the distractions. A cool, dark room often helps – I remember using St. John’s Cathedral to feed in when my son was this age.

I have just checked on the WHO growth standard charts, http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html
    5.8 kgs for a four month old boy is at the 5 percentile. Is your doctor using these charts? They are the latest charts and based on exclusively breastfed babies – the gold standard.

I would be very careful about starting solids if your baby has eczema. Eczema is an allergic reaction. Usually from something the baby is getting directly – are you give any formula? If the baby is exclusively breastfed (nothing but breast milk) then it could be something in your diet. You need to be very careful when giving the baby solids as if he gets a reaction to a food through your milk he will get a much bigger reaction when he eats that food himself.

Usually the allergic reactions are to proteins, the most common being cow’s milk proteins, followed by soybean proteins. Lecithin is a protein supplement – did the eczema begin when you started taking the lecithin?

Taking lecithin will not make your milk low fat. The quality and quantity of your milk remains the same no matter what your diet. Remember that the milk is made from your blood not from the food you eat.

Best wishses,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Thanks ladies, for your feedback!

Lesliefu, I am not totally against formula. Actually I started combined feeding, but as I soon as I produced enough milk to exclusively BF, I really enjoyed not having to wash/boil bottles/nipples anymore. The reason I wasn't considering switching to formula is because I think that the problem is not I don't have enough milk to feed my baby.... Although formula may be an easy solution to my baby problem: I will not have to deal with foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, I will be able to measure the exact amount of milk my baby will be taking, and I will not have to guess if I may have been eaten something that may have caused the baby eczema.

LLL_Sarah, I just compared against the growth chart that comes Child Health Record notebook. My husband and I got really shocked because we thought that the baby was doing pretty good. We noticed that he was skinny, but thought that he just look like that because he was quite long (when he was 2 months old). I am trying now to express more foremilk before feeding and to follow your suggested block feeding. Before I would switch breast if it has been 2 or 3 hours since the last feed, and would give the same one if the baby seems to want to feed/suck again after just an hour or less... probably he has been drinking too much foremilk, specially because my right breast fill up pretty fast.

About the eczema, the doctor at the MCHC also suggested me to stop eating milk products for 2 weeks to see if the baby condition would improve. I started taking the lecithin supplement 2 months ago, when I got a back case of blocked ducts. By then, my baby already had some ezcema, but not as bad as it is right now... it was just some rashes on his face... now he has rashes all over his body... I am stopping taking the lecithin and stop drinking soy milk also.... hope we will see some improvement soon, on both his weight and his skin.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Are you taking any diary products? Milk, Cheese, yogurt, etc.?

As your baby has already had some formula he could have become sensitized to the cow’s milk protein (this actually only takes one formula feed) and thus be more vulnerable to it in the food you eat. This is the most common allergen which is why your doctor has suggested you stop it for two weeks and see if your baby’s condition improves. The second on the list is soy, so this is also a good one to try next.

You may like to look at Dr. Sears Elimination Diet, http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041200.asp

There is an introduction to this diet at Breastfeeding & Infant Milk Protein Allergy, http://www.ehow.com/about_6310109_br...n-allergy.html

I would discourage you from pumping your milk – this will make any foremilk and hind milk imbalance worse not better. When you express the foremilk off you increase your supply and thus make it take more feeding for the baby to get to the higher fat milk.

A much better technique for getting more hind milk into your son is to do Breast Compression. Dr. Jack Newman explains how to do this on his web site, Breast Compression at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/15pdf.pdf

He also has video clips which show the Breast Compression technique:

Compression also at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e__lgR7mRIg
    Compression Two and at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4lnvL2_6V8

I hope your little boy is feeling and feeding better soon,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Thanks a lot again Sarah! I'll try using compression once the baby slow down so that he will get some more hindmilk. Lately he get distracted easily, so probably that is the reason why he is having frequent short feedings.
    Posted via Mobile Device

tomogotchi is offline Registered User
    When my baby was 3 month old (he's now 11 month), his body weight dropped to 25 percentile and has been like that ever since (although recently it’s going up a bit). I tried to investigate so many possible reasons for his not-so-great weight gain and talked to lactation consultants, midwives, and pediatrician. I initially thought my baby wasn’t drinking enough, but I knew I had a good milk supply, and he was drinking every 2.5-3 hours. Then I thought maybe I had an over milk supply issue, because he often gagged while being nursed, and also he often had green pooh. I used block nursing techniques LLL recommended. Still not much weight gain and green pooh. Then I thought my baby had an allergy to cow’s milk that I was drinking, so I cut out dairy products for two weeks. Still he was having green pooh and not gaining weight as much as we liked. So, at 5 month we started giving him solids, and from 6 month, he’s been eating solids three times a day. He was exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months and started taking some formula milk after that. It was exhausting to figure out why his weight gain hasn’t been fantastic, but everyone told me that I shouldn’t be worried because my baby obviously looked and was healthy. Besides, even after he started having solids and formula milk (and he eats solids well), his weight increase hasn’t jumped significantly and he remains in lower percentile.

What I want to say is that even if you cannot figure out the possible cause for your baby’s weight performance drop in the development chart, as long as there is some kind of steady weight gain, and your baby looks healthy and happy, you shouldn’t waste your time and energy worrying about weight performance. Some babies are just lean (my husband and I are not really lean people, but somehow our baby is).

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast