Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Worried: Not gaining weight on my 2nd trimester :-(

peachylin is offline Registered User

Unhappy Worried: Not gaining weight on my 2nd trimester :-(

Hi ladies,

I hope you can help me understand or even better, take away my worries with respect to my current weight. I am on my 22nd week and I feel like I have only gained 1.5kg since my 14th week. I have not asked my OB about this but he seems not to care much. I however feel like I ought to have gained at least 2 kg by this time. Am I right or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks in advance.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    It's a very individual thing how much weight you gain and it's not a reliable indicator of the growth of the baby - if you're private and getting monthly scans then that would be by far the best indicator of growth. If you're public and haven't had a scan recently and it is bothering you then you can raise it at your next appointment to see what they say or maybe go for a scan privately to see that all the growth is on track.

If you're feeling regular movement and your OB isn't worried then it probably isn't anything to worry about but we've all been there with these niggling doubts and sometimes it's just best to do something to set your mind at rest rather than having it bother you for weeks.

Best of luck.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Your weight doesn't really matter. What matter is your baby growth. When I was pregnant, I used to gain around 0.5 pounds per week. By the end I gained less than 20 pounds. My baby weighted 7.4 pounds.

peachylin is offline Registered User
    I am having regular scans and yes, the doctor has not mentioned anything about my weight. It's just that I read some stuff online which gave some parameters of weight gain during the pregnancy, thus made me worry as I do not seem to be "normal." I've been trying to eat enough but still, my weight has remained stagnant (I think). Baby's movements are regular so far and kicking has in fact been very strong. I sure do hope I am ok, especially my dear baby girl.

baffelly is offline Registered User
    Dont worry as long as your baby is growing. If your baby is gaining weight and you are not, it just means less weight for you to lose later!
    Posted via Mobile Device

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    ^^wss. The guidelines for weight gain exist as a way of trying to monitor the growth of the baby when regular scans aren't possible/offered, they aren't that accurate and aren't relevant if you know the baby is growing well.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I would say--BE THANKFUL! I am trying my hardest to not gain a ton of weight like I did when I was pregnant with my son. And, actually, usually the time when pregnant women pack on the weight is the last part of the third trimester when the only thing the baby does is put on extra fat and get heavier. At this point, the baby is busy developing bones and organs (the body structure) but not necessarily getting a lot bigger in size or weight. I know women who went their entire pregnancy without gaining more than 5 or 10 pounds and gave birth to healthy babies.

inkmink is offline Registered User
    Peachylin

I wasn't gaining much weight during my 2nd trimester and like you was overly worried despite friends telling me not to worry. The OB wasn't too worried too as he thinks it could be genetic but I didn't buy his reasons. A friend asked me to eat more regularly, at smaller portions but adding more cakes, biscuits in between meals - basically eating every 2 hrs. I saw major difference in my weight again as well as baby's the following month!

Before the change in diet, I put on 1kg, baby was 1lbs 15oz (from 1lbs 1oz the previous month!). The following month I put on 4kg and baby weigh 3lbs 11oz!!

I wished I was one of those ladies who put on very little weight but baby still gain weight consistently. However, as my scans showed otherwise, I got worried despite what everyone said including the OB.

Just do what is comfortable to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast