Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Is baby walker an alternative? 10 months old baby not crawl/ sit properly

xxJJxxx is offline Registered User

Exclamation Is baby walker an alternative? 10 months old baby not crawl/ sit properly

Dear mommies,

I wonder if you had such a problem out there like mine.
    My little bub has reached the 10th month but still not crawling or attempt to crawl. When we try painstakingly to tempt her with toys,food,music everything else and nothing works. She's on the floor most of the time, love to flip around but it seems she has not grasp the "key" to her own door for the crawling stage.
    About sitting, she has short patience and will just plunge over when she's restless even when playing with her fav.toys or book.
    I am getting worried about her development on both and was thinking if a baby walker does the trick to make her exercise her legs and hopefully she can realise how amazing a pair of legs she has that can bring her far..

Any other suggestions on helping her crawl other than my own assumed method...? PLEASE HELP..!

Thanks so much!

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    hi,

lots of babies dont crawl at all and proceed straight to walking. crawling is no longer considered a significant milestone. however, by 10 months most babies on average are able to sit. they do flop every once in a while. if i were you i would get a development check done at MCHC or your paed, just to reasure yourself. all babies have different pace of development as long as there are not significant delays. only a qualified professional would be able to determine that for sure.

as for walker - it's now considered counter productive. too much dependence on walkers usually delays walking rather than the other way round.

all the best

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    my one didn't crawl till 16mths and when I got her checked QMH said she has a gross developmental delay....which basically means she's slow! :( Anyhow, she did eventually start walking at 21mths, she got the walker as a present at 12 mths, but it didn't encourage her to walk, just to sit around and stare at her favorite things (we thought she'd want to walk to try to touch her favorite things). In a sense, I think it is personality too - my little one just turned 5mths and she is already trying to crawl..first stages as she lifts up her bump to shift her weight and move to things she wants to touch! SO - get your little one checked to get some reassurance...but do remember that all kids are different - even with the same genes! :)

One thing I did to encourage her to walk more is to hold her around her waist with her face towards you so that she can practice taking steps towards you - don't hold her hands as she can't feel her feet and her balance is not as good so she won't feel safe to move.

Good lucK!

xxJJxxx is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for both sharing!
    I'd made an appointment to see the doctor just to reassure myself...and also to remind myself that ALL BABIES develop at their own pace Individually..However, i just can't stand those unnecessary nagging from the in-laws and mummies who had babies with "normal development milestone" reached throwing in critic ringing in my ears that got me into the panic.

boat616 is offline Registered User
    It's good to consult the doctor as early as you are aware of the problem. I do argee that all babies develop in their own progress. My son can walk independently at 10-month and skip crawling while my friend's one didn't walk stably until 2...it's difference!