Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Giving birth in Adventist

Onyim is offline Registered User

Giving birth in Adventist

Hi everyone, I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant and planning to deliver at HK Adventist. Has anyone experienced Dr Selina pang? What is she like? And what was their experience at the hospital . Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

e-Maternity is offline Registered User
    I had my first son at Adventist, 2.5 years ago. It wasn't a very good experience. It was my first time and I had a C-section. I had problems with my milk coming in & breastfeeding. The nurses were not all supportive of me breastfeeding. I had a nurse come into my room at 4am telling me I was a horrible mother for starving my son and not giving him formula (contrary to what my doctor said). Another nurse came in 1 day and told me to use this washing thing for 'down there'. I was confused as it was to be used for women who delivered naturally!?! My doctor was also confused. Also, be worn, you have to checkout before the time you checked in. E.g. if you checked in at 7am, you'd have to checkout before 7am on your last day. Otherwise, they charge you by the hour. (But note that if you check out really early, the cash register and pharmacist may be be open. So you may be forced to pay an extra hour!)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I would also like to hear more tales about Adventist. I plan to give birth there in March. I can't really change my mind and give birth elsewhere at this point so if possible may I hear about the practical sides of how things are done there so I know how to manage? Thanks!

Singstar is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at the Adventist and thought it was fine. I was in a private room which was clean and very large. My husband was able to stay with me as they put a matress on the floor for him.

The quality of the nursing staff varied - some were very patient and helpful and others were not so good. I was very clear that my son should be breastfed only and for them to being him to me when he was hungry - they bought him to me only every 4 hours at first but I insisted they bring him more often if needed. They didn't pressure me into formula feeding him and tried to help me with breastfeeding as well.

One thing I was not so happy with is when I pressed the call button it would take them ages to come to the room - sometimes up to 30 minutes - they were busy but I thought that was an unacceptable length of time to wait

I would agree they are a bit funny with the check in and out and it does take them a while to sort your papers out so make sure you give them enough notice when you want to check out.

Overall I think the experience was OK but as this was my first birth I have nothing to compare it to.

Singstar is offline Registered User
    Oh forgot to add - I gave birth there in Feb this year

BabyG is offline Registered User
    I gave birth there by c-section exactly 3 months ago. I had a very good experience and all my wishes were followed. To me they were very pro breastfeeding. The nurses were so helpful and super friendly. I breastfed during recovery and they brought my baby to me when he was hungry and also any time I wanted to have him close for my friends and family to see him.

I stayed in a 5 bedded room but there was only me and another mother in the room. The food is vegetarian and tasty. I recommend the crispy noodles which I probably ordered every single day.

They also give you an album with about 20 photos of your newborn as keepsakes.

The pediatrician advised me to supplement the baby with lucose during the night so that he would have a full tummy and I could get some rest. I did not want them to feed him anything but my milk and they were cool with that. When I was bored I made trips to the nursery and pumped some milk for the little one as well.

Make sure you make your wishes clear and everything will be fine. Hope this helps
    Posted via Mobile Device

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at the Adventist 4 months ago, and everything went really fine. The nurses were nice and helped me a lot while we were waiting for the obstetrician. I had a private room so I could keep my baby with me all the time, and as it was my second natural delivery, they left me do lots of things of my own, which I appreciated.
    Food is really good, place is clean... and I was feeling so good that I left 24 hours in advance.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo View Post
    all the nursing staff we'd come across including angela are big fat liars.
    This sounds kind of personal. Care to elaborate?