Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

MCHC vs. Private pediatricivian

sblossom is offline Registered User
    Thanks all for your thoughts, have called and made an appt!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Just keep in mind that for immunizations, the mchc only does the 4-1. I got the 5-1 at private clinics each time. The extra one is the Hib vaccine.
    Also, go in there confident for your baby's development checks. Haha, these nurses are all business, and can easily make you feel as if you are not doing a 'correct' job as a new mother. They also talk a big game about breastfeeding(lucky for me, mine was totally bf at first). Don't be afraid to stand up to them. Or maybe it's just the surly nurses at my local clinic;)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    The nurses at my MCHC were also very pro breastfeeding. I breastfed for 15 months and they were VERY supportive. I don't know what it's like if you've chosen formula feeding, but I know formula feeding is very common here so I'm sure they'd also be supportive of the mother's choice - even if it's not what they think is ideal.

yonge is offline Registered User
    We do a combination, but we definitely love our MCHC. The nurses and doctors all know us by name whereas its the private doctor's office - not so much the paediatrician, but the nurses - that makes it feel like a factory. While the MCHC do cover all the vaccinations that are required in Hong Kong as well as do a thorough health assessment for your child, there are some vaccinations that you may want that are not available at the MCHC. For me, they are the ones for rotavirus and varicella (chicken pox). The varicella one is also available as a combination with the MMR, so you can either skip the MMR shot at the MCHC or go for the varicella one separately at the private doctor's office. There's also HiB, which is the one that's included in the 5-in-1 and 6-in-1, but I'm not sure if it's available as a standalone, so you may need to check.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    Great experience so far with MCHC. I like how systematic they are with developmental check-ups and immunizations are free!!! :) It is a bit of a wait, esp on Sat though. I will say that the doctors at the MCHC I go to (Tsing Yi) are a bit grumpy, so I prefer my paed if baby is sick. The nurses are great though and they really try to help!

chuckles is offline Registered User
    Sorry, just early pregnant and I have no idea what MCHC is? can someone shed some light thanks..

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Maternal Child Health Centres
    Posted via Mobile Device

NewBabyLA is offline Registered User
    Silly question but does Queen Mary have the MCHC's - or do I have to go somewhere else for this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12