Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"You Getting So Fat La!"

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Unhappy "You Getting So Fat La!"

Well, it's that time again...

In my second pregnancy and nearing the end of my second trimester. Time for the doctors and everyone else to tell me how obese I'm getting.

I'm not even going to try to argue with them. My co-worker almost daily refers to my size and when she's seen older photos of me she always makes sure to comment, "But you were so much thinner back then."

Yeah, I know, I know, I know...

My only argument which falls on deaf ears is that I'm not a Chinese lady who wears a size 3 normally. What do they expect?!

But...in all seriousness, for anyone else out there who was told that they were getting too fat in pregnancy. What did you do? I think I actually do need to change my diet. What types of changes did you make to cut calories and keep things in check? Would love to hear suggestions from other women who have been in a similar situation.

Thanks!

Portia is offline Registered User
    How much weight have you actually gained? Is it average for your stage of pregnancy? If yes, just ignore them. I just made sure I had plenty of exercise. I would make sure I stayed active and would go for a brisk stroll most days.

Why do you say you do need to change your diet? If you are eating your normal diet, it should usually be fine. I just had to watch the treats because I was treating myself everyday!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    What bother you more ? putting weight on or people's comments ?
    If it's the weight, then cutting on sugar and oily food would be a good start, but you are pregnant, it's certainely no time to start a diet !
    If it's people comments, tell them you'll have plenty of time to lose weight after the birth, and don't give any credit to what people say... there is always lots of people to make comments that no one asked for !

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    For the annoying co-workers, if it is really bothering you then I would probably find something to say to shut them up, like "well yes I have gained lots of weight but my doctor says its all within the normal range for my baby and I (us Caucasions are soooo big). And after I've delivered, would you like to pay for an expensive weight loss programme for me costing $100K??" Getting people to put their money where their mouth is shuts them up I find. Years ago I was a junior exec starting out, paying off university loans and my bosses kept telling me how I should buy a car (because it was the done thing). I finally told them I was paying off uni loans and if they really wanted to they could get me a corporate car which would solve my problems - that worked!!

As for eating healthily, you probably know all the dos and dont's. I relied on a great book, "Nutrition for a Healthy Pregnancy" by Dr Elizabeth Somers for pregnancy and breastfeeding. I walked, swam a lot and did yoga when pregnant. It has taken me almost 2 years to get back to my pre-pregnancy clothes without dieting, post breastfeeding.

I now get tons of unsolicited advice on feeding/raisin/schooling my toddler but normally think of some firm and (near) polite way to shut them up or just duck them.

Good luck and don't let the annoying colleagues/well wishers get you down!!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    you should be gaining weight! did your doctor say you're gaining too much? I know it's hard, but try to ignore those comments from your colleagues!

When I was pregnant, I would eat basically everything, but I'd get say 6 small meals a day, instead of 3 solid meals. I think that gave me the feeling of always being full and not over eating. I gained 9lbs in total but my baby was 7.4lbs so that worked for me. Also, have lots of fluids too - soups are healthy and won't overload you with too many calories. I was never a dessert fan, so I didn't get any of those, but if you have a sweet tooth, perhaps eating a different type of dessert everyday, instead of say, chocolate cake dailly? Having said that though...if you're craving it then go ahead! Just eat a 1/2 a cake instead of a whole cake in one sitting and eat the rest at another sitting! :)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the replies ladies.

Yes, the nurse and doctor at the health clinic said I'm gaining too much--basically I'm gaining too fast for their standards. They rattled off something like I should be gaining .1 kilo/week and in the past month I've gained an average of .3 kilos/week. I think that's what they said but they said it really fast.

With my first pregnancy, I started out at about 66 kilos and on the day I gave birth I weighed 104 kilos! So, there is definitely something in me that is alarmed that this is going to happen again. I am not sure about what my starting weight was with this second pregnancy and no one in the beginning thought to weigh me (including me) but I did get down to about 74 kilos after my son was born.

So, I am looking for some advice for anyone who drastically had to modify their diet during pregnancy because of extreme weight gain. In some cases women do have to "go on a diet" (not a crash diet, of course) during pregnancy. In fact, that's what the nurse wrote in my file while I was sitting there, "Needs to go on diet."

I'm thinking that in order to keep things from really getting out of hand fast on me I need to do more than just "everything in moderation." I am concerned about my health. Actually, it hurts when people call you fat--I guess anyone who has ever been called fat by anyone--directly or indirectly--knows this. So, leaving the clinic yesterday I almost had a little cry about that but then I thought to myself, "Well, what am I going to do with this information?" Sure, they didn't present it in the most PC way but facts are facts so I have a choice to make. I really try to not let the constant focus on my weight get me down and for the most part I just think, "I am who I am and there's nothing I can do to change that." This kind of thing is such a non-issue in the country I'm from--I have never experienced the type of obsession other people (who are not even close to me) have with my body type and weight--like it really even matters at all and especially to them?! But, whateva :P

I think I'm in a whole different category than the women who gained under 20 pounds with their pregnancies. Hell, I would love to just gain 20 pounds! Even 30 pounds is permissable but....I gained well...let's see...85 pounds with my last pregnancy (no exaggeration). That would be a dream come true! I'm certainly not eating chocolate cake every day--just not my style.

What is wrong with me?!

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    Here's my 2 cents' worth.

I don't think it's a good idea to start dieting when you are pregnant, regardless of what the doctor or nurse says. The stats they quoted are just that, stats. I remember that my weight gain was not uniform throughout my pregnancy. (I gained 15kg during my pregnancy which was normal for my height/build).

Even if you are gaining more than you should, really just try to eat more fruit & veg 80% of the time and 20% of the time eat whatever you like. If you can fit in a bit of exercise occasionally that will help you and your baby, that is if your doctor says you can exercise. I really do encourage you to get a copy of the book I mentioned because it deals with the issue of weight gain during pregnancy and nutrition issues, and really keeps things in perspective. http://www.elizabethsomer.com/books_...pregnancy.html

I recall the glossy mags talking about superstars like Catherine Zeta Jones ganing 40kg during pregnancy so you are definitely not a freak. Of course these superstars have a team of nutritionists and trainers to help them shed the weight afterwards, but the point is, using a petite Asian woman's frame as a yardstick is silly and unrealistic, and of course demoralizing. Please do focus on having a healthy pregnancy and baby, then think about losing weight after delivery. Of course your hands will be totally full with a new baby but really just try to shut out the peer pressure til then.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I gained EXACTLY 16kgs by the end of both pregnancies. It must have just been the right amount of weight for me. Between about weeks 20-24 there just wasn't enough food in the world to feed me, I was always hungry. All the weight (and a bit extra) came off within about 3 weeks of the birth due to breastfeeding and my extreme tiredness (choosing to rest rather than eat, couldn't be bothered). My extremely skinny girlfriend gained over 30kgs in two pregnancies. I think she just needed it.

85pds is about 40kgs, so you're certainly over the recommended 10-15kgs weight gain. However, if you're eating small amounts of healthy food, your baby might just need a bit extra. Is it fluid gain? That can really put on weight and something that needs to be monitored. Nothing to do with the food you're eating, nothing you're doing wrong.

The nurse of my OB always used to comment on my weight and it really gave me the irrits at the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast