Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moisturizer for baby scalp

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Moisturizer for baby scalp

My baby has eczema, so I am keeping all his skin moist by applying cream on his body and face several times a day. As he is still bald, I can see that his scalp is also dry. Sometime he also develop rashes on his scalp. I would apply steroid and wash his hair with Polytar, but is there anything I could apply on his scalp to keep it moist? Can I apply his body cream, e.g. QV, on his scalp?
    Posted via Mobile Device

geomum is offline Registered User
    Use Olive Oil, massage into his hair gently for a few minutes before bath. You can leave it in for a few hours if you like.

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    if you are ok with it try coconut hair oil. you can get it any indian grocery store. there's been a bit of research advocating the benefits. we checked with our local dermatologist before using it - he said "he's got nothing against it... if it helps then go ahead."

banane76 is offline Registered User
    You can also try Tippy Toes oil by Mambino. You can get it at Annerley. It helped with my baby's eczema and cradle cap. We also used olive oil too.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot.. I have olive oil on hand, so I'll give it a try. My little one's scalp is really dry and flaky. When it is red I would apply the steroid and it would clear it up, but he would still scratch his scalp and ears. Hopefully the oil would soother his scalp and make it more comfortable for him.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Our pediatrician also recommended not using soap or shampoo for awhile - instead, using some cream and then washing it off for the body (I guess that removes any dirt/impurities). I honestly am not sure if it is working on my baby's skin but we're giving it a try. My baby has the same scalp problem where it's a bit rashy and she will rub at it. Well...we are cheating on some of the doctor's orders because I still use the baby soap on her bottom, but she doesn't have dry skin there anyway. :)

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    I've done the olive oil for a dry scalp.. I think it'd be mild cradle cap. Works really well. We put it on about an hour before bathtime, and then use a soft bristle toothbrush to lightly brush. Do this for as many days as needed.

oi0io is offline Registered User
    Does your baby have cradle cap? If it's cradle cap, this product is amazing! http://www.mustelausa.com/foam_shampoo.html . I used it for my son when he was a newborn and his flakes were gone. I had so much left over and I passed it to 2 other friends, and it too worked wonders on their little one.

If it's just dry, I would suggest olive oil as well. Just massage your baby's scalp after bath to seal in the moisture.

You might even try getting a cool mist humidifier in the room during the winter season to keep the moisture levels up so that he doesn't dry out.

Scroll to top