Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby taken away to nursery

zyxwv is offline Registered User

Baby G -- At Matilda you aren't required to have the baby in the nursery at all, if you don't want to. The nurses are great and will encourage you to send the baby in on the first night, as you will need your sleep. They will then bring him/her to you through the night for breastfeeding, take the baby back to the nursery and change the diaper etc.

With my first, I was reluctant to let him go to the nursery at all, but it was a lifesaver on that first night. I then had the baby with me for the rest of my time in the hospital. With my second, I was a little more relaxed and actually asked them to take the baby to the nursery on the second night too! I knew that this was my chance to get real rest so that I could be energized for both of my kids!

zyxwv is offline Registered User

just to clarify....At Matilda, we are talking about the night only. Both of my kids were born in the morning, so they were with me for the whole day until 19/0pm-ish. I wasn't separated from them after delivery except for 15 minutes or so (more than an hour later) when they go to be weighed and measured. Even then, the husband goes with the baby and the nurse.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

But sincerely, if you can choose between Canossa and Matilda, take Matilda !

maternitynurse is offline Registered User

Can I just add that I worked for a very lovely couple who had their baby at the Sanatorium and the nurses were quite keen to keep the baby in the nursery for the first few hours. I got a little protective of the mum because I was there to help her get the breastfeeding started on the right track and enjoy those precious moments, I encouraged the father to demand that they bring the baby back unless there was a specific medical reason why the baby should not be with her parents and, in which case, could they inform the parents of the babys condition! This done, the baby was brought back very quickly and the family was reunited for many hours of much needed cuddles! Why I say this is because if you have the support from your husband/family then they can be there to back you up when you might be feeling a little tired and tell the staff that you want your baby with you. After all, he/she is YOUR baby not the hospitals!

Best of luck at such a lovely, joyful time

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Just to add, at Matilda, it doesn't matter which class ward you're in. You are entitled to keep your baby with you throughout your entire stay 24/7. I don't think other private hospitals allow you to do that in a shared ward.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Question about Adventist (Tsuen Wan): What are their policies concerning nursery and rooming in?

Liquorice is offline Registered User

I gave birth recently at the Prince of Wales. There policy is to room in - day and night where possible though the first night my baby stayed in the nursery and was brought in for feeding. These are all shared wards of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12