Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

starting solid... how much to feed?

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. I just thought that it would be easier for me if the helper could feed solids to the baby. Because I don't know how convenient it would be for me to express milk at work... I am thinking that I will be able to breastfeed the baby early in the morning, and at night before bed. Probably can manage to express some milk for 1 or 2 feed if I pump at work during lunch break, and at midnight (provided that he doesn't need a midnight feed)..... Don't know if my supply will drop.... Of course, I guess I can introduce formula as well....
    Posted via Mobile Device

mela is offline Registered User
    You can introduce formula for the day. Either way 6 months is way too early to drop the milk for the baby. Solids at that stage are to supplement the milk not to replace. I totally understand where you are coming from and I remember worrying about it a lot when my baby was little but you will work it out in no time. I really recommend Gina Ford's book in weaning - it takes you through weaning schedules and shows you how to do it. I used it to help me work out the amounts of food and the frequency. However as I said earlier all books and most doctors recommend waiting until 6 months. The extra benefit also is you can then introduce new stuff much quicker. To stop your milk supply from dropping you need to pump when at work - even if it's pump and dump. I also started storing milk away in the freezer if I had any extra so my helper was able to give it to the baby when I was away.

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    formula would be lot better than three solids at this age. you would need to slowly introduce solids, settle each meal in and then start the next. and it's not very reliable either - babies change their preferences and their amounts all the time. you'll see your bub refusing to eat food X which he absolutely loved a while back :) and refuse food altogether some time. and polish off whole bowl next day etc etc etc. the thing is their system is too immature to handle too much solids; and milk would be the primary "food" source for a few more months to come.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Yes, I know I should not replace milk for solid at this age. I just wanted him to taste different food before we mix them together. I am just giving him feed teaspoon of solid just once a day after his regular breastmilk feed, and trying not to reduce his daily milk intake at all.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12