Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pediatrician first appointment

charade is offline Registered User

Pediatrician first appointment

I just delivered my baby... Still in hospital but will be discharged tomorrow. Post hospital, when does take the baby for first pediatrician visit? Does the pediatrician have to specialize in infant care or will any pediatrician see the baby?
    Posted via Mobile Device

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    first visit is normally at 1 mth or around then cause that is when they start getting their vaccinations. is there a pediatrician near your place that is good? just thinking ahead since you'd want someone nearby in case of any emergency in the future. where are you living? there is OT & P in repulse bay - they also have in central, or there is central health - in repulse bay and also in Central...perhaps you have mommy friends in your area who you can ask to see where they go so it is close by...

Since I delivered public vaccinations can be done at local mch. But my baby is not urinating very frequently and also has an eye infection so was thinking i should see someone sooner once discharged. There's a pwdiatrician in my estate so I guess I could try him. I know in some countries it's routine to see a pediatrician soon after discharge from hospital. Wondering if thats the case here...
    Posted via Mobile Device

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    normally there is a pedi on site (at private - not sure about public) when you deliver and they give you an apgar score and will let you know to look out for jaundice (at 5 day old it appears) and to check with your pedi if your baby needs to be admitted to hospital. (my baby had jaundice for 1 week - but I didn't hospitalize because she was feeding / puing and peeing regularly which means that she is growing and her liver function was improving - normally they put them in under the "light" to enhance liver function...she did, have 3 blood tests during that week to double check her bilirubin level (indicator of liver function).

normally babys don't see the pedi immediately after discharge unless there is a problem. it seems that in your case you should get the eye infection checked and double check why baby is not urinating frequently.....can the midwives / nurses at the hospital tell you about the urinating? I am under the impression the would be able to...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    We were advised to take our daughter to the MCHC at about a week old just to check that her weight was increasing and also to check for jaundice. I have never taken my daughter to a private pediatrician and she is over two years old now. I think that MCHC and GP covers just about everything that most children need.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    We had a visit from a pediatrician in the hospital and then our first visit was within about 48 hours from discharge of the hospital. Our next schedule visit would have normally been at week 2, but as our child has a slight jaundice issue we ended up with a second visit in week 1.

This was for a child born in the USA, which follows the American Academy of Pediatrician visit schedule:

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/newbor...wellchecks.htm

http://www.uvpediatrics.com/health-t...isit-sched.php

While not formally spoken out loud, I honestly think the first visit on day 3 or so is a) so they can check for jaundice and weight and all that) and b) more importantly, answer some of the myriad of questions you'll have swimming through your head about your new arrival.

I guess it depends on your pediatrician. Our pediatrician, despite being UK-trained, follows most of the US guidelines for visits and immunizations and the like.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    We took our baby to the closest MCHC after the first week, and then we did all of our vaccinations there too...it's free if you have a HKID!

Thanks ladies. I had an appt at the mch yesterday. Nice doc but boy was it crowded. Think I'll see a private pediatrician soon
    Posted via Mobile Device