Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

the right age to start primary school?

majiajia is offline Registered User

the right age to start primary school?

Hi!

I'm a bit confused on this matter...
    starting school at 5 years and 6 months old is COMPULSORY?

we're moving to HK and need to find kindergrt and school for our kid
    I'm considering to let him doing one more year in kindy, if finding a school is too hard, and even because he can't speak English, but speak Mandarine (learnt at kindy), and I'm afraid it would be too much for him starting an International school after just one year in HK...

he is born in April 2007, so under the HK system he is supposed to start primary school in 2012 at 5 years and 5 months, right?

what about if he starts in 2013?
    what do you think?

thanks for any advice!

carang is offline Registered User
    for the LOCAL system, the children start primary school the year they turn 6.

so, my son, born in feb 2005, doesn't start P1 until sept 2011. his friend, who was born in dec 2004 and is attending ESF, started in September 2009. this means that although they are only 2 months different in age, there will be 2 grade levels separating them. this is due to (1) she was born in the calendar year 2004, whereas my son was 2005 and (2) ESF schools start P1 the year they turn 5, not 6.

each international school has different rules, so you'll have to check out the ones you are interested in and then make a decision.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    my daughter born in 2008 should according to the school I've applied for her, be entering P1 2014 (6 years), but because she is quite delayed at this point in time, she has been given "permission" to enter P1 in 2015 (7 years) instead....but like carang says, each school will be different.

Thanks for your reply with clear example!

ok, so first contact the school, ask about their policy, and of course try to figure out what is best for my little one...

have a nice day!

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    Each school is different. US schools generally don't start Kindergarten until age 5 (though some have half-day programs at age 4). UK schools guidelines, which many international schools follow, start at age 4. Some schools here even have a program for 3 year olds.

Personally I think it's all a bit early, but the problem is if you try to enter at a later age you have say 30 kids coming from the earlier programs and only 5 slots available for new kids. If you enter at the earlier age, there are 30 openings available.

Is Mandarin his native language? There are schools that are taught primarily in Mandarin. China International (CIS), Independent Schools Foundation (ISF), Kiangsu & Chekiang School (KCS).

Hi penguinsix!

no, Mandarine is not our native language.. neither English but this is clear! :)

since he was born in China, grown up with Chinese nanny, and asa he'is attending a local Chinese Kindy, he has good communication skills!

we'd love him to keep on studing in Mandarine, but we don't want to miss the English opportunity in HK too!

I'm trying to find a suitable solution for my little one, I just want him to be happy and feel good in HK!