Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Reducing Infant Mortality

Gataloca is offline Registered User

I had my baby at 11am and didn't see him again until 10am the next day (I had an elective c section at week 40+3 when they found at week 40 that the baby hadn't had dropped), when I went to the nursery room to breastfeed him. He didn't have problem breastfeeding, and from what I saw, most of the babies at the nursery room were sucking without any problem (except for few ones).... So I don't really know about nipple confusion.
    Posted via Mobile Device

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I think if you watch the video they are not saying that interventions are a "bad thing" but that they are overused and in cases, such as yours, where you had complications, your interventions were medically feasible--there was a direct and important medical reason why they were being performed--they weren't performed for your convenience or because the doctor just thought the baby was "getting too big" or something like that. Actually, the doctors in this video all pointed to the huge medical benefits that technology has given us--such as ventilators and incubators that can keep our children alive and safe in an emergency. Not one person on this video said that there wasn't a real need for these things and most of the doctors praised the innovations in medical technology but brought up the issue that these interventions were never intended to be applied "willy nilly" (as one doctor put it). If you haven't taken time to watch the full video, I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    I have had two pregnancies, two births and two healthy children, both births involving intervention and I am thankful every day for these.

During my pregnancy with my son, I suffered a lot of issues includng major bleeding at 11 weeks, severe vomitng which led to hosptalisation four times, water inections which eventually led to my waters breaking at 26 weeks +5 days. The doctors at the hospital intervened and managed to stop the labour, which gave my son an extra week in the womb and this extra time was priceless at that gestation. When my son was born at 27 weeks + 5 days they intervened again, putting him on a ventilator, giving him blood transfusions when his body was weak and frail. they saved his life on many accasions during the 8 weeks he was in the NICU and I am so grateful for this intervention as I have a six year old healthy son at the end who does not have any long term health issues as a result of his prematurity.

Wth the birth of my daughter I was induced at 41 weeks. The induction failed, the chord was wrapped around her neck a couple of times and every contraction I was havng was distressing her so the doctors intervened in the end and performed an emergency c-section, which I agreed to as it was in the best interest of my daughter at the time.

I think that not all intervention is a bad thing, mothers should be aware of complcations that can arise durng pregnancy and ask questions of doctors who are trying to intervene to ensure the right thing is beng done and for the right reasons but I am a firm belever that some interventions are necessary and because of these interventions I now have two beautiful children who I adore.
    I replied above :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    38 weeks is actually not considered to be pre-term.

My waters started breaking at 38 weeks. I went to the hospital and immediately they had me lie down. Long story short, I was well aware of possible interventions that could happen during labour. I had all of them and saw my labour spiraling out of my control. It was rather dehumanizing. At one point I had 6 different wires/tubes coming from various areas. In the end, I had a c-section, as my boy just wasn't doing so well with the contractions, seemed to be stuck despite attempts to 'dislodge' him, and my cervix wasn't dilating well, even with oxytocin. My son was pulled out of me screaming and red, and scored perfect on his APGARs, and had no medical issue whatsoever. We did have a hard time breastfeeding for a long time, and to this day I blame it on him being taken away from me for 6 hours and then given formula without my permission.

Because of various reasons I have posted on different threads here, I may request an elective c-section in the public hospital, in which case I would accept it no earlier than 14 days before my due date. Ideally I would like to wait until I go into labour naturally, but I'm still not sure I can trust the public system enough for that.
    In your case, your own body initiated labor--the doctor didn't go in and say, "Your baby is now done at 38 weeks so you need to be induced to get the baby out." I think that the problem is that many doctors are putting too much trust in numbers--actually, a baby is done when a baby is done--whether that's 38 weeks or 42 weeks or whenever. If a woman goes into labor before 36 weeks the baby will most definitely be treated as if he/she is premature but that's based on estimates as well--a baby born a 36 weeks (of the body's own accord--not induction) may very well, after investigation, be found to be "fully cooked."

Would you say that in your case you now feel that the interventions performed on you and your son were necessary at the time?

Gataloca is offline Registered User

I know people that had elective c sections because they were afraid of going into labor... They just didn't want to endure long hours of pain.

I chose c section mainly because of convenience, due to my insurance coverage. I could have scheduled induction at week 41, and the baby might have engaged during labor. Probably would have required other kind of interventions, like forceps, or may have ended in emergency c section. I didn't know... I was more concerned about the hospital bill rather than the baby, as I thought I was in good hands. So I went to c section directly since we have different coverage for vaginal delivery and for c section. If I had been in a public hospital, I would have gone for the induction for sure.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    In your case, your own body initiated labor--the doctor didn't go in and say, "Your baby is now done at 38 weeks so you need to be induced to get the baby out." I think that the problem is that many doctors are putting too much trust in numbers--actually, a baby is done when a baby is done--whether that's 38 weeks or 42 weeks or whenever. If a woman goes into labor before 36 weeks the baby will most definitely be treated as if he/she is premature but that's based on estimates as well--a baby born a 36 weeks (of the body's own accord--not induction) may very well, after investigation, be found to be "fully cooked."

Would you say that in your case you now feel that the interventions performed on you and your son were necessary at the time?
    My water started to break, but my body didn't go into labour naturally - that was the problem.I know another woman who recently told me that her waters started to break like mine, and she didn't go into labour until about a week later. She was not told 'urgently' to go to the hospital, as I was.

So they made me lie down, then after hours of nothing much happening, I finally agreed to the oxytocin. I pretty much knew that once I was forced to lie down, intervention after intervention would happen. They all did, like clockwork. Were they all necessary? Well, with my somewhat limited knowledge at that time, I also thought that the baby needs to come out within 24 hrs of your waters breaking. So after prolonging the oxytocin as much as I could, I pretty much let them do their work. I couldn't handle the contractions very well (3 at a time, 5 minutes long type thing, but not dilating me much), so I asked for the epidural, which then led to other interventions like a cathetor (Agh!!!!!!). At 22 hrs after my waters first breaking, and all the other stuff, and my baby not liking contractions with oxytocin, and my body not making them naturally, and a bunch of other stuff (and lots of pain!) I was quite fine when the doctor suggested the caesarian. So I think they did try everything they could before the end result, as my doctor knew I really wanted to avoid a c-section.

As far as interventions on my son, the bottle feeding was the only one. They proudly told me that he drank something like 60mls of milk, he was so hungry. After that, my colostrum wouldn't satisfy him and he would cry out for more and more. It's much easier to get milk from a bottle, than from a breast that hasn't made much milk yet. That's where the 'confusion' comes in, misnamed perhaps.

I would never plan a c-section for convenience, that I do know. My only reason to possibly plan this next one is out of the safety for me and my baby. Funny, since c-sections have a higher chance of complications, I know, but it's about how I feel about letting possible trainee doctors have me labour on unnecessarily and potentially dangerously, unbeknownst to them.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I know that 38 weeks isn't considered pre-term, but when you add in that often the due date could be a week (or sometimes even two weeks) wrong, depending on when it is calculated and by what method, sometimes a baby supposedly born at 38 weeks is not as "fully developed" as he should be, PARTICULARLY when the labour was started artificially by induction or by C section.

Quote Originally Posted by Gataloca View Post
    I know people that had elective c sections because they were afraid of going into labor... They just didn't want to endure long hours of pain.

I chose c section mainly because of convenience, due to my insurance coverage. I could have scheduled induction at week 41, and the baby might have engaged during labor. Probably would have required other kind of interventions, like forceps, or may have ended in emergency c section. I didn't know... I was more concerned about the hospital bill rather than the baby, as I thought I was in good hands. So I went to c section directly since we have different coverage for vaginal delivery and for c section. If I had been in a public hospital, I would have gone for the induction for sure.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Do you now feel that the choices you made because of the insurance etc. were in the best interest of your child's health?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast