Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Reducing Infant Mortality

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    I know that 38 weeks isn't considered pre-term, but when you add in that often the due date could be a week (or sometimes even two weeks) wrong, depending on when it is calculated and by what method, sometimes a baby supposedly born at 38 weeks is not as "fully developed" as he should be, PARTICULARLY when the labour was started artificially by induction or by C section.
    I think that is exactly the point that that all of the professionals who spoke on the video were really making. That our estimates of how old a baby is are not infallible. And even if the baby is technically 38 weeks or 40 weeks into gestation, every child is different as is every mother and a lot of the children who are already 'term' (38 weeks onward) are, for that particular child, not ready to come out. A lot of development of the brain and lungs happens in just the last few weeks before a baby is born and if we force a baby to come out when he/she is not ready we in essence cut that development period short and shock their systems as we introduce them to life outside the womb too soon. Just like when children leave the womb they develop at different paces so we can't assume a "one-size-fits-all" model of development I don't think we can say that "Well, this baby should be done at 38 weeks." It's just not that cut-and-dried and that's where we get into problems. I've heard several experiences from other women where they went over their due date--even by several weeks but it was the healthiest thing for the baby to leave him/her in even though many doctors would disagree. There was even one woman who labored for 2 weeks after her water broke and gave birth naturally with no complications to the baby or mother.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Do you now feel that the choices you made because of the insurance etc. were in the best interest of your child's health?
    Well... I shouldn't have said "mainly".. should be "partly"... If it were totally due to the insurance, I would have gone for the C section from the beginning.... Sometime it really amazes me! It was only 5 month ago, and I have already loss memory of my pregnancy!!!!

Anyway, even when my insurance coverage for normal delivery was low, I was hoping to have a natural one, without epidural if possible. Everything was fine, and my baby was head down already at around week 34. I have been having scans every 2 weeks to monitor the baby position, and at week 40 the doctor noticed that the baby hadn't dropped further since week 38. I got diagnosticated CPD and suggested C section, although still gave me the option of waiting till week 41, and go for an induction labor hadn't started yet by then. I weighted the pros and cons:

- There was a high chance that the baby will not engage, even during labor.
    - by themselves, many induced labors end up in emergency C sections.
    - emergency C sections are more risky than elective C sections.
    - Long labor is stressful for both the mother and the baby.
    - I get fully covered by the insurance, and can stay in a private room, where my baby could room-in.
    - I totally trusted my doctor.

So yes, I do feel that the choice I made were in the best interest of my baby.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gataloca View Post
    Well... I shouldn't have said "mainly".. should be "partly"... If it were totally due to the insurance, I would have gone for the C section from the beginning.... Sometime it really amazes me! It was only 5 month ago, and I have already loss memory of my pregnancy!!!!

Anyway, even when my insurance coverage for normal delivery was low, I was hoping to have a natural one, without epidural if possible. Everything was fine, and my baby was head down already at around week 34. I have been having scans every 2 weeks to monitor the baby position, and at week 40 the doctor noticed that the baby hadn't dropped further since week 38. I got diagnosticated CPD and suggested C section, although still gave me the option of waiting till week 41, and go for an induction labor hadn't started yet by then. I weighted the pros and cons:

- I get fully covered by the insurance, and can stay in a private room, where my baby could room-in.

So yes, I do feel that the choice I made were in the best interest of my baby.
    I just have a few questions regarding what you listed--

How do you know that the chance was high? Did the doctor tell you that? There are quite a few women for example who are facing a breach baby and the baby turns at the last second (or there are things that can be done safely and naturally to encourage the baby to engage) and the woman gives birth vaginally.
    Why do you say so? If you have an experienced surgeon, there shouldn't be any more risk involved in doing the c-section at the last minute than pre-planning it--unless there is already something going wrong with the child or mother. In both cases there is a major abdominal surgery taking place.
    Had you gone through a long labor before? What do you base this assumption on? Labor itself can be a stressful situation--whether it's long or short. Having gone through an extremely long labor naturally myself (43 hours) I can say it was difficult but I wouldn't say that it was any more stressful--I guess it depends on how you define "stress." Part of what makes labor, labor is that it is something one needs to submit to and allow oneself to go through--not fight against--when it's fought against that's when it becomes stressful in my opinion. As far as stress caused to the baby--long labors often are no more stressful to the baby than short ones. There are women who labor for weeks with a child and the child shows no signs of stress during or after labor. I think that the images we get from Hollywood give us a lot of misinformation about what labor is and can be.
    Because you had a pre-planned c-section you got fully covered by insurance with all the benefits?...or if you had chosen a different route, would you have received the same coverage?

Just really curious to know. Thanks.
    Last edited by thanka2; 12-06-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Neha is offline Banned

we do know some weirdos who had their child delivered at 7 months because the date was a combination of the husband and wife's birthday and month was also the same as their anniversary. the Child was fine at birth but later has developed lot of issues. It might not be connected. i dont know but really how dumb can people be. There was no issue of money, holidays etc in the above delivery. The child at the age of 3 was treated with a heart issue

carang is offline Registered User

the doctor that performed a c-section on a pregnant woman at only 7 months should have their license revoked. what utter ridiculousness!

Neha is offline Banned

indonesia it happened

Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    I just have a few questions regarding what you listed--

How do you know that the chance was high? Did the doctor tell you that? There are quite a few women for example who are facing a breach baby and the baby turns at the last second (or there are things that can be done safely and naturally to encourage the baby to engage) and the woman gives birth vaginally.
    Why do you say so? If you have an experienced surgeon, there shouldn't be any more risk involved in doing the c-section at the last minute than pre-planning it--unless there is already something going wrong with the child or mother. In both cases there is a major abdominal surgery taking place.
    Had you gone through a long labor before? What do you base this assumption on? Labor itself can be a stressful situation--whether it's long or short. Having gone through an extremely long labor naturally myself (43 hours) I can say it was difficult but I wouldn't say that it was any more stressful--I guess it depends on how you define "stress." Part of what makes labor, labor is that it is something one needs to submit to and allow oneself to go through--not fight against--when it's fought against that's when it becomes stressful in my opinion. As far as stress caused to the baby--long labors often are no more stressful to the baby than short ones. There are women who labor for weeks with a child and the child shows no signs of stress during or after labor. I think that the images we get from Hollywood give us a lot of misinformation about what labor is and can be.
    Because you had a pre-planned c-section you got fully covered by insurance with all the benefits?...or if you had chosen a different route, would you have received the same coverage?

Just really curious to know. Thanks.
    Doctor said that the chance I may be able to have a vaginal delivery was like 20%. I trusted that he gave me that number based on his experience seeing patients on similar situation. I would have bet on that 20%, but then I weighted the pros and cons, and decided to have an elective C section.

As for the stress, I read or heard somewhere that each contraction is not only painful for the mother, but also for the baby, as he get pushed through the birth canal. It may be more difficult for my baby due to the cephalopelvic disproportion. Forceps doesn't sound fun either. This was going to be my first one, and we know that usually it takes longer time for the first one to come out... and we are not talking about how his little head may get stuck on the birth canal! Also my sister got induced at week 42, and after long hours of pain, she didn't dilate enough and had to go for an emergency C section. So I didn't want to suffer in vain. I really wish labor were like in the movies! On the movies, they are always fast!

As for the insurance, the coverage is very basic for natural delivery, but full coverage for complications (including C section due to medical reason). I may have tried for the natural delivery first (with a very basic package on a shared ward), but if that had fail and I had needed an emergency C section, I would have had to submit an emergency treatment guarantee form for the cost to be covered, and pay out of our pocket while the form was being processed. There were already lot of things to be worried about, so I didn't want to worry also about the form being approved, and the cost being covered or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Neha View Post
    indonesia it happened
    Indonesia has a lot of weird stuffs.. who saw the video of the baby smoking 40 cigarettes a day?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast