Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Contraception after birth

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Contraception after birth

After 2 children, I don't plan for a third one... at least not right now ! so it's time for contraception. I'm breastfeeding but my period came back on the 3rd month.
    I'm looking for some "no more period" kind of contraception...

Is there someone using this kind of "seasonale" (I know it's widely used, but don't know if we can find it in HK) ?

Thanks !

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I have no idea about that, I went to the doc about contraception and he said pretty much with breastfeeding, I either want to go on the progesterone only pill (called Ceravette and available at Watsons next to H&M or times square, ask the pharmacist. It's not widely available elsewhere), or IUDs. I just looked up Seasonale and it has estrogen as well as progesterone so it's not as "recommended" for breastfeeding (the estrogen can pass into the breastmilk, and also it can reduce milk supply).

Anyway, I know that doesn't really answer your question... sorry!!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Thanks Nicole for the info for the hormones... now I understand why my obs gave me Cerazette... but I took it only for a month, as I got my period after only 20 days, and it lasted for 3 weeks !! so... no... thanks !
    I also read about the new coils, which delivers hormones, and stop the periods. I'm going to check if it's ok with the breastfeeding. If not... well, will have to wait until my baby is weaned and go for the "old" method :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Cerazette doesn't stop your period but it does work even if you have your period. I like that for me it doesn't have the nasty side effects that the regular pill does.

You need to talk with your obgyn, but I think that most of the hormonal contraceptives that you can use while breastfeeding don't stop your period. Could be wrong though. Let me know what you find out!!