Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What do you do if baby wakes too early in the morning?

carey is offline Registered User
    I have not noticed you mentioned how old is your baby. When they are younger under 4, 5 month old, their naps are usually short, 30 to 40 minutes.

Mine is 18 month old and he is sleeping a lot better now. But he woke up at 5am every morning until he was about 14 month old. When he was cosleeping with one of us, we tried to put him back to sleep after getting him milk.

We slept trained him in his own room when he was about 7 month old. He still woke around 5am. We tried every thing: milk feed, leave him there to CIO, give him a toy to play by himself. Nothing really work. Like you, we caved in and let him get up and play with him then he will go down for a nap around 8am.

I hope things are different with your little one. If you are a SAHM, catch a nap while he is napping too. That was how I coped.

Good luck.

oi0io is offline Registered User
    At 5 months...naps are around 30-45 mins. It does get better as they get older. As carey mentioned...nap when she naps.

Definitely do not start feeding her if she cut out that early morning feed and if it affects her morning bottle. BTW, I don't think you should use diluted formula http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/280306...-today_health/

I'm not sure if it's because I started sleep training early (around 3 months), so I never really had the problem of my son waking up so early. If I had to deal with this, I probably won't not cave in. After a couple of days of this, maybe she'll get the idea that it's not time to wake up. Of course if she's crying in distress, I would go in and check on her every 10 mins or so. Try not to pick her up, instead, just stroke her head telling her it's ok, mommy's here and shushing her. If she still balling her eyes out, then pick her up, calm her, tell her the same thing and then put her back into the crib. You might have to continuously do this every 10 mins or so. Hopefully after a couple of days of this, she'll learn that waking up early doesn't mean playing and she'll give up.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    @ Carey, oops. I didn't realize. My LO is actually 5 months old. I hope you are right, that the naps will improve as she gets older. I am not as concerned with her naps being 30-45 mins as I am about her waking up early and not getting a good night's rest. Plus as far as the naps are concerned, I am just looking for her to fall asleep on her own. If she can and her naps are STILL 30 - 40 mins, then so be it.

@ oi0io. I didn't cave in the first 4 days. Once she woke at 430 and I just picked her up for 30 seconds to calm her, and then she went back to sleep. Until this morning, I just went back in every 2-4 minutes (depending her crying volume/intensity) to tell her it's ok.. mommy loves her, and shushing. I don't think I even picked her up. I did notice improvement.

Thing is... CONSISTENCY. I wavered. When she didn't have her own room, I did bring her to our bed when she woke in the morning, so... it will take some time.

What happens at about 6 months that makes it easier for babies to sleep better?

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    my one is 6mths tomorrow...i would say her naps are definitely better! only 2-3 naps - a long one which is usually 2 hours, a short one normally 45-1hour and sometimes a 3rd nap which is only 30mins long. she did the 30-40mins naps before, but it does get better hang in there!

i find with my 2nd one, I am less "strict" in the sense that I am using the pacifier more to get my LO to fall asleep on her own "unassisted" meaning no parent / helper to soothe her. i do this because i tried all the ways mentioned above, but when I let her CIO she gets more awake and she ends up wanting to play rather than sleeping. also, i don't want to feed her at random times because i am working on reducing her number of meals but increasing the portion at each....anyhow, the pacifier has worked (touch wood) and it soothes her fast enough in the middle of the night. during the day i'm not one to set nap times - when she's tired I let her sleep for as long as she needs (or until her sister wakes her up) and it usually ends up being only 2-3 times as I mentioned above. for me, the advantages of using a pacifier outway the disadvantages...will eventually have to get her off the habit of using a pacifier, i'm hoping as she gets older she will have more activities and that will make her more exhausted and sleeping will come "naturally"

good luck!

oi0io is offline Registered User
    It does get better as they get older. Yet as they get older, you may be dealing with other issues such as teething. When they are teething, they are cranky and in pain therefore naps and bedtime go down the drain. Plus sometimes they get diarrhea when they teeth so they may get a poopy diaper in the middle of the night. They will be more mobile too, as a result they would probably be stuck in some corner of the crib crying for help.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    @ oi0io, the realities of it all! :)

Good to hear it does get better. Thing is, it keeps changing. Doesn't it? Last night, down to bed at 7...she took 30 mins to fall asleep last night. Maybe it was the late nap (she woke at 545). But then, other than getting her for her dreamfeed at 11pm, she slept til 710am!!!

Then she took an hour long nap mid morning! Who knows!

I wonder if she's so tired from the lack of sleep.. she makes up for it once in a while. I HAVE NO IDEA.

@oi0io - I do get nighttime poopy diapers even know. Her body can't decide when to poop :)

matemate is offline Registered User
    1sttimemom, i get the impression that you think too much.
    even for adults, the sleeping requirements change: one day you feel tired and feel like a nap, the other day you stay up and can't fall asleep. all normal, imho

for our baby, we are pretty liberal and until now, it has changed quite frequently but he seldom cries and is a happy baby and getting better and better with his sleeping pattern

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i think you should go with what your baby needs and you will find that the babies body will give you a pattern...it will change but i wouldn't worry too much - lack of sleep one day means the baby will sleep more the next day...I do that with sleep training as I do with eating. if he's hungry he'll eat, if not don't force it - if he's sleepy he'll sleep, if not don't worry. the body knows what it needs / doesn't need and we just read the signs and don't over analyze or else it can get very exhausting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast