Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Worried

T.S
    T.S is offline Registered User

Unhappy Worried

Hi All,

My son (2.6 yrs old) goes to nursery in Tivoli International in Tsing Yi. A few days ago the principle held a meeting informing the parents that they have only 4 spaces for the morning section for K1. My son will have to be transfered to the afternoon section because those spaces are left for kids with siblings learning there. I don't really prefer afternoon schools.
    The whole family then decided that my son will go to ESF in the morning and Tivoli in the afternoon. In my opinion, getting to an ESF primary school (the interview) is very difficult. And I also don't know where to go from Tivoli to. The problem is that the time for application for ESF has ended. On the other thing, my son was diagnosed with HUS when he was 10 mths old. He had an acute kidney failure. He is still under medication now. His health is not that strong like the other children.
    My concern is that for my son to go to 2 schools at the same time will worsen his health. I am also concerned about his education because I never went to school in HK and don't know how the things go around here.

Any advice or opinion? Really appreciate it.

carang is offline Registered User
    i have a playgroup centre in tsing yi and i have known a couple of our students to attend 2 different kindergartens. personally, i think it is too much for a child of 2 years. the poor thing has no time to be a child! i would only go for 1 kindergarten, either morning or afternoon.

my question to you is this? if you are considering putting him into one school in the morning and one in the afternoon, what difference does it make if he only goes to afternoon? if your son's health is not so good, then he needs more rest, not rushing from one kindergarten to the next everyday. if i were you and i were happy with the kindergarten he is currently attending (except for the schedule), then i would leave him where he is.

the other thing you could do is: tivoli in the afternoon and have playgroup a couple of mornings each week. the playgroup could be something you pay for (like mine) or an informal one with other mums & kids.

T.S
    I guess I know who you are then. You may know me too. My son went to your playgroup.

Actually I was thinking that if I go to 2 schools, I will have the chance with the ESF primary schools and other placements from Tivoli.

Maybe I should have him learn something once a week in the morning then have him go to school in the afternoon. Thank you for the advice.

i thought i might know you...

i can tell you that morning places at ESF are extremely hard to get. they sometimes have space in the afternoons. so, if he's going to be in afternoon school anyway, then you may want to see if they have spaces at the ESF in the afternoon?

something else to think about is that just because your child goes to ESF kindergarten does not mean they will be accepted to an ESF primary school. all it does is guarantee an interview...nothing else.

good luck! it's too bad that schooling in hk is so much trouble.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i don't think it is a good idea of have any kid attend two different schools - no matter how healthy or capable they are...in your case, I would definitely give the child more time to rest and catch up with his health issues first over academics. one school and then fun activities 1-2 in the ams is a good idea. also, i won't worry about which schol Tivoli students go to for primary school - if he is getting a good education, developing interest in learning and studying, and is capable of showing this to teachers during interviews, he will have a good chance at any school. don't think too much, unfortunately there is no guarantee for anything - just do your best and let your kid enjoy school

T.S
    yes I think you are all right. Thank you for the advice.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Attendance at an ESF kindergarten does not guarantee an interview any longer. As I was told by a parent, they've changed their wording on their site too. It just puts you ahead of the list. So if a school is over subscribed, way more Cat 1 applicants & sibling applicants, you may not get an interview. This has happened this year. I know a Cat 2 student who did not get an interview for one of the oversubscribed schools.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

whatever you choose, i hope that "K" enjoys it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast