Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tips for feeding a poor eater?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Just thought I'd update...

Yesterday I tried something new - just feeding her more "on demand" and not force-feeding her if she wasn't wanting any more... but I DID offer the milk more frequently (every 2-2.5 hours instead of every 3-4 hours). It worked a LOT better and she actually drank the same amount as her best day previously! I'm going to keep trying this approach for a few days and see how it goes... So far I'm probably spending a similar amount of time feeding her and preparing bottles etc, but at least it's with less of a fight so it's a lot less stressful for us both... For her I think that 8x75mL (average) works a lot better than 6x100mL!!

oi0io is offline Registered User
    That's great news!! I actually think force feeding can be traumatizing to a baby and they may be scared of the bottle and refuse to feed. My son has always been tiny and I would get very stressful trying to feed him so that he meets his quota. After a couple of episodes of force feeding, he started to refuse his bottles. He would actually cry when he saw the bottles. I eventually had to purchase a whole new line of bottles so that he would drink again.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think that if I'd continued to force feed her, it would have led to bigger issues - she was already starting to show signs of aversion. And I don't have the option of changing to a different type of teat!! In a few days if she continues eating as well as she has been, I'm going to stop setting my alarm at 6am and see if she can get enough in the day without me needing to wake her then to squeeze in that extra feed. Hopefully it works - I'll get a bit extra sleep that way :) :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12