Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Room temp

curios is offline Registered User

Room temp

I know most books say you should have the room temp at 16 -19 degrees. I find this freezing in hk.. What temp do yu have your baby room?

oi0io is offline Registered User

I keep the room temp between 19-21. My son wears a long sleeve body suit with elastic waist thin pants and sleeps in a 2.5 tog grobag.

matemate is offline Registered User

i always have to laugh at these recommendations from western books. our baby sleeps in whatever temperature we sleep, which is about 25 right now and used to be 29 2 months back and will soon be a bit less during winter.

you can ready up on some research on room temperature, and there is not much supporting the 16-19 degree theory. so i suggest going with what makes intuitive sense and what most hong kong people do: sleep in warmer temperatures which are natural for hong kong

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

My baby sleeps in whatever temp we do. In summer his room was cool with the AC, as was ours. Now it's cooler, so no AC, and it must be about 19-21 in there at night. He sleeps in thin long sleeves/pants cotton and a 2.5 tog grobag. When the temp drops more (and it's ridiculously cold in these apartments), he'll wear a fleecy PJ under his sleeping bag. Last year, I put a standing gas heater outside our bedrooms (they are adjacent to one another) so some heat would come in but not too much. I'm pretty sure in the winter it's about 15-19 in his room. Very chilly, but I don't want to use a heater in there.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

would agree with the other posts - air con in the summer, nothing on now....the thermostat during summer is always around 22-23 degrees, now i believe it's around 19-21 in the evening...she's been wearing flannel PJs because she's not good with keeping her blanket on, no gro bag anymore (she's 27mths and I can't seem to find a big enough one)....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I think it's crazy. I don't even really follow a set temperature level. If we're inside and someone's starting to sweat, it's too hot and the AC goes on. That's about it. Our AC remote is generally set to 26 degrees. I really don't like it when inside is FREEZING and outside is boiling. I don't think it's healthy for the temperature difference to be THAT great. I think probably if you're living in a cooler climate, keeping the indoor temperature that cold might work better, but here in Hong Kong it's impractical and I think even UNhealthy. Not to mention what your electric bill would cost!!

Portia is offline Registered User

The recommedations in those baby books are definitely not suitable for Hong Kong in my experience. In the summer with the a/c on, I usually have the room at around 23 degrees. Any lower than that and it's freezing. Don't forget with the a/c, there is a wind chill factor as the a/c is blowing on you which also makes it feel colder. Now we just sleep with the window open and the room is around 21-23 degrees at the moment. It will drop lower later in the winter and I will put on the heater to bring the room temperature up to around 20-21 degrees.