Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone had CVS in Hong Kong?

UglyPugsHK is offline Registered User

Red face Anyone had CVS in Hong Kong?

I am just 7 weeks in but may have some complications - just hanging in there week by week, scan by scan. I have not chosen a doctor yet but leaning towards Milton Leong as I have seen him before and great bedside manner and modern facilities and $$$ but still not sure...

Anyone had CVS done in Hong Kong? Which doctor or clinic? Any feedback or comments? I am a 'mature' lady by all stats but I did have genetic testing on the embryos so 13, 18 and 21 chromosomes are all OK but as my yolk sac on the larger side may want to test for more.

Happy to hear more and still have no clue about which OBGYN - Milton? Lucy Lord? No clue. I work in Causeway Bay so seems I will be heading into Central if this pregnancy continues. Would like to deliver at Adventist or Sanitorium as just plain close to home

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

There's two doctors I would recommend for pregnancy complications:
    1. Dr Lam at the Hong Kong prenatal diagnostic clinic,
    2. Dr Cora Ngai.

Both of them are well qualified in looking after high risk pregnancies. I went to Dr Lam in my first pregnancy (which was normal), but when I had complications in my 2nd pregnancy, I was referred to Dr Ngai. Both of them have some of the best ultrasound equipment compared to other obgyns.

I would probably go again to Dr Ngai instead of Dr Lam for one reason - the wait there is generally a LOT shorter. But I probably SLIGHTLY like Dr Lam a little better. Not enough to wait an hour plus in order to see him.

I didn't end up having CVS or amnio done - in my situation, I was told that it may not even give us the answers anyway - and ultrasound gave us enough information to have an educated guess as to what the problem was (genetic testing at birth confirmed what I'd suspected from 17 weeks). But both of those doctors are very experienced in both procedures because they are doctors who other obgyn's refer difficult cases to.

And just to add... both of those doctors are fine with you using them for their expertise in high risk situations, but using another obgyn for your regular check ups. I personally was going to Dr Patrick Chan (who I adore!) when he referred me to Dr Ngai - and I was going to continue going to Dr Chan as well, but I ended up just having too many doctors appointments so I stopped seeing him (was delivering in public system anyway)... So if you want, you can choose a regular obgyn for their bedside manner or for the delivery etc - but they may not be as experienced in complicated situations (depending on how common your kind of situation is, I don't know...)

slamdunk is offline Registered User

My obgyn was Dr. Sally Ferguson and I had CVS on her referral at 12 weeks with Dr. Lam as mentioned by nicolejoy. He has a clinic with Dr. Macor Wan in Central. The clinic is like a testing factory, busy, long waiting, cash only etc. - not my cup of tea usually but I felt very comforted in knowing he was very experienced at the procedure (as is Dr. Wan I believe). Seems like a lot of people use this clinic for testing (at their own Doc's referral or privately for peace of mind). Hope that helps.

josoo is offline Registered User

Has anyone had a bad Oscar test result and gotten nervous over it? I have to have a amnio end of the month...

newhkmommy is offline Registered User

i've had 2 bad oscar test results and was incredibly nervous about both of them. but i had an amnio with my last pregnancy and cvs with my current pregnancy and both final results came back fine. good luck.

How bad is bad?

A "bad result" can be as much as 1 in 100 which is still something like 99% chance that it's not DS and most probably not anything. MANY MANY MANY people get results of 1 in 100 or so, and the VAST majority of them have babies which are completely normal.

I had a bad result of 1 in 7 which I comforted myself by telling myself that was still an 85% chance that it wasn't DS. Turns out that it wasn't DS but in my case, it was a rare form of dwarfism. Which is in many ways "better" than DS as my daughter will be able to have a normal, independent life in spite of her short stature. There is no intellectual impairment, only physical issues.

For us personally, we were going to do the amnio because our results were SO bad (didn't end up getting it done because at 17 weeks, it was obvious on ultrasound that it was a skeletal problem which is harder to test for by amnio, unlike DS which will tell you pretty much with 100% certainty) - but if they were as low as 1 in 100 or even 1 in 50, we probably wouldn't have bothered and just looked for the physical signs on ultrasound and hoped for the best. We wouldn't terminate no matter what the results were, but I do think that the knowledge can help you prepare for what is to come.

All that to say, you don't "have to" have an amnio - it is your choice and you can weigh up the risks and benefits of it based on how bad your results are, whether or not there are any physical indicators of DS on ultrasound, whether or not you would terminate, if you wouldn't terminate whether it would be beneficial for you to know in advance (for some it is beneficial, for others it can make it harder), etc.

All the best!!

Kinoize is offline Registered User

Hi mums,

Hope I'm not too late to reply...

Got myself a CVS at 15weeks because of a 1/16 DS results (due mainly to a 3.9mm nuchal thickness). 2nd pregnancy, very stressful to have to hear such a result.

Had the CVS at Sanatorium hospital with Dr Danny Leung : EXCELLENT doctor, very careful, no pain at all, results of the fish test within 48 hours as promised by phone.
    I'm followed by Dr Grace Cheung at Central Health, she refered me to Dr Leung. I highly recommand him.

Hopefully, everything looks perfectly normal, fish test came out noemal on chromosomes 13,18 and 21. Morpho scan done by Dr Leung as well to make sure there was no other problem (heart, growth, etc). I'm now 27weeks, second boy, everything looks fine

all the best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast