Again really appreciate all the helpful responses. I guess what I omitted to say was that I work full-time, so am not at home to fine-tune the napping or to enforce a consistent regime. I have instructed my helper to watch for cues and to put him down as soon as she spots such cues, but really I would never know what goes on at home during the day. Being a FT working mum also means that trying different approaches in the middle of the night is the last thing that I wanna do.

I did think about pushing the bedtime back bit by bit, but never got round to do that as the baby gets grizzly around 7pm every night (if only he's such a perfect Gina baby in every other way!), AND I read everywhere that "sleep begets sleep" etc.

We took him on holiday over Christmas and he was sleeping in the same room as his dad and I (he has been sleeping in his own room since he came home from the hospital). Dunno if that was the reason but he slept so much better for those 5 days - he even demanded to nap three times a day, everyday! - but of course as soon as we came home he went straight back to his nightmarish ways....

Lately I have started to let him cry for longer and longer before I would get to him - that's until he got a fever last night and now everything just went out the window....

(Apologies if this is a bit ranty)