Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Silly question: How do you bake without ovens?

carang is offline Registered User
    i think i had the same one for a few years!

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Hi Thanka2,

Thanks for the reply and the photo. Wow, I'm impressed that you did all that baking in an oven toaster and the price is reasonable too! With all the costs of moving, a bargain like that would certainly come in handy!

cheers
    Newbie_hk

jabalong is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    About 4 years ago we bought a Summe "toaster oven" that goes up to 250 degrees C. I have baked chicken, birthday cakes, casseroles, cookies, cupcakes, bread and everything else in it for the past four years.

The photo below is one of the first dishes I baked in it--an absolutely yummy lasagna. The oven is no bigger than a bread box.

How much did this little wonder cost me? I guarantee you at the DSC Center where we bought it was probably under $500 HKD. Have never had a problem with it and with a little bit of adjustment you really can bake anything in there--you just have to bake it on a smaller scale but there are two shelves and a spit for rotiserie as well.

Hi, a question about your toaster. I see that you have stuff sitting on top of it and crowded around the sides of it. Do these exterior sides and top get hot?

I'm looking for what's called a "cool to touch" or "cool touch" toaster oven, where the exterior casing is made of a material that doesn't get hot. I know they exist, but have not seen them in Hong Kong.

If anyone's come across any, please let me know the model and where you got it. So far I've checked Fortress and Wing On, any other/better places to check?

Had not heard of DSC Center where you bought yours. Checked out their website but it seems to be in Chinese only. Can anyone advise as to their locations on HK Island or in Kowloon.

Thanks!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jabalong View Post
    Hi, a question about your toaster. I see that you have stuff sitting on top of it and crowded around the sides of it. Do these exterior sides and top get hot?

I'm looking for what's called a "cool to touch" or "cool touch" toaster oven, where the exterior casing is made of a material that doesn't get hot. I know they exist, but have not seen them in Hong Kong.

If anyone's come across any, please let me know the model and where you got it. So far I've checked Fortress and Wing On, any other/better places to check?

Had not heard of DSC Center where you bought yours. Checked out their website but it seems to be in Chinese only. Can anyone advise as to their locations on HK Island or in Kowloon.

Thanks!
    Ha! Yes, there was a lot of stuff crowded around that oven at the time as we were living in a room where our kitchen, toilette, bed etc. were all in one space. It does get hot on the top a bit but have never had any problems with things being placed close to it on the sides--as far as what is sitting on top of the oven in the photo--those are two ceramic plates and I put them there on purpose to warm them up so that we could put our hot food on them to keep the food warm longer. If you give about 6-10 inches room on each side you won't have any problems with placing things around it. I keep my oven at a height were my son can't get to it and he knows that it's hot and not to touch it--just as he knows not to touch the stove when it's on.

The DSC stores are ALL OVER Hong Kong. I used Google Translate and translated the DSC page and below is the information about their centers and also their contact information. DSC is great for a lot of things--we bought our camera there for a great price and it works really well and we also have bought some furniture and kitchen appliances.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

jabalong is offline Registered User
    Ah, the power of Google Translate, I keep forgetting about that.

Thanks for that and the info on the toaster.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123