Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silly question: How do you bake without ovens?

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Silly question: How do you bake without ovens?

Hi mums,

We have been told that when moving to HKG, it'll be hard to find built-in ovens in rental properties. Pardon my ignorance, but how do you mums bake your lasagnas, roast chickens and and cakes?

I once had a whizz bang microwave in Sydney that lets you bake but I never used it since I had a real oven anyway.

Can't imagine my family missing out on their Sunday roast without an oven!

cheers
    Freshie Mum

Portia is offline Registered User
    Most local families don't bake, hence no oven. But what is your rental budget and where are you looking to rent? If you are renting a higher end flat, there will often be an oven. But if you are living in mass residential type housing (eg, 600 square feet), then you are less likely to find an oven.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I have a toaster oven. I can roast a chicken or bake a lasagna. I can still bake a cake, although it can turn uneven because of the heat. I have never tried baking cookies though... I don't want to bake in dozen of batches of 4 or 6 cookies each!
    Posted via Mobile Device

geomum is offline Registered User
    Toaster oven is the way to go, buy the biggest and best one that can fit in your kitchen. Baking cookies takes almost an entire day and big cakes/ bread often has to be baked on low temp/ at the bottom shelf or else they burn from the top.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    You can buy convection ovens here. They are about the same size as a mid sized microwave.
    I have a toaster ove, in which I can bake small things, but never something like lasagne or roasts. I wish. A lot of nicer apartments, newer though not necessarily large, come with ovens.

plumtree is offline Registered User
    When we were renting, we bought a Panasonic combination microwave-oven-grill that worked really well as an oven. They come in different sizes and it might be worth investing in the largest one you have space for in your kitchen. After all, it's something you can take with you. We now have a regular oven but still use the Panasonic, which works better for some things (eg roast chickens with crispy skin)!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Our place has ovens that come standard with the place - and has places from 500 square feet to 1000, so unless the landlord ripped it out, even rentals have ovens here. Although the quality of the oven isn't fantastic, they are VERY slow - I have to increase the temperature by 20-30 degrees and give it extra time as well. I don't know many places that do have ovens though, unless they've been added in...

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Agree with the others, depends on budget, age of property, where you are looking etc, I've seen a number of properties without ovens but you can always get a counter top toaster oven as the others have suggested. Our property had a free standing basic towngas oven which I asked the landlord to remove as it doesn't heat evenly or reliably and I replaced it with a higher end electric one as I do a lot of baking. So there are lots of options; it depends on budget and how important your oven is to you :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast