Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

exclusively breastfeeding-baby suddenly drinks much less

OlympianCity is offline Registered User

exclusively breastfeeding-baby suddenly drinks much less

My boy is now 4 months and 2 weeks old. He used to be a good eater, and would finish drinking from both sides, and could last for like 4 -5 hours . HE's been gaining weight well...However, started a few days ago, he started drinking only from one side and finishes sucking in like less that 2 minutes.. then he would start fuzzing or looking around, refusing to drink any longer .I am sure he hasn't even emptied one breast ! He's healthy and alert. He still has normal amount of wet diapers.

Is this normal? Has anyone run into similar problem before? Thank you!

newmother is offline Registered User

Supposedly at that age babies get stronger and suck much better. My baby did the same and still gained lots of weight.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

My baby just turned 5 month old, and is doing exactly the same. What worry me more is that he hadn't gained lot of weight in the last couple of months. I have been paying more attention to his feeding, using compression and almost squezing the milk into his mouth to make sure he get the hindmilk. But lately, he has been getting distracted very easily. He would just pull put to look around or to make silly noises. He hasn't been sleeping well either, and would wake up several time during the night and cry when cannot find his dummy. He has been relying more on his dummy as well. I hope this is temporally ... I think he is probably teething....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Gataloca is offline Registered User

About the feeding problem, you may try offering the breast again after few minutes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Macaron is offline Registered User

I've been pump feeding and my baby had exactly the same problem at about 4 months, except with the bottle. He would start sucking then pull away and look around and would not finish his bottle etc etc. He went through this phase for about 6 weeks, and is starting to teeth now. Looking back, I think it was a problem of getting very easily distracted, as they do at that age. Try settling him with some very quiet time before the feed in a dark quiet room.

OlympianCity is offline Registered User

Thanks, everyone! yes, i've noticed that he eats better when he gets very sleepy and with his eyes closed . So i guess he's just easily distracted and curious about his surrouiding at this age

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User

Babies around 4/5 months get distracted really easily. Have you noticed your baby feeds longer at night time? My LO likes to pop on and off if I'm in a busy room, but if it is quiet and dark he'll settle down for a long drink. It is also true that they don't need to suck for so long anymore as they get much better at drinking.