Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Phil and Teds Double Stroller Users - tell me what you think!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Phil and Teds Double Stroller Users - tell me what you think!

I am teetering again towards a Phil and Teds double stroller, and would love for some opinions on what current users think of it.

Cost effective?
    How long have you used it? What ages are you kids?
    What are constraints have you faced in HK using it and any in your home country, if applicable?
    Did you like it more for newborn, older, or all around? Did the bottom kid ever dislike being underneath? How old can fit in the bottom if they want to take turns?

My situation:
    -my son will be 2 when his sister is born, so that's 1-2 years of use?
    -I have seen second hand ones from time to time here in HK for $2500-$3000, still quite an investment to make though... Are they sturdy, second hand would be ok?
    -will move back home sometime next year but not sure which month(second half of year) yet so don't know if I want to wait til then to maybe buy one, in which case I would get even less use out of it.
    -I don't live on HK Island, nor do I go there often. My area is fairly stroller accessible (or at least I've learned how to navigate it with a stroller), and don't plan to go too far with both kids, as I'm on my own during the week. We mainly take the MTR, and I will pretty much stop taking buses, which is fine. Like most people here, we hang out in malls:)
    -My physical stature is average - 5'3 and about 125lbs (after I lose my baby fat again:), but with a bad back.(though my friend is teeny tiny and raves about hers).
    -when we move back home we'll have a car and live in a house most likely.

Thanks for any opinions and tips. The time is getting closer to my baby coming and still wondering how I am going to get around!
    Last edited by Shenzhennifer; 12-15-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    I bought my Phil & Ted's Double (Sport) brand new in 2007 for about HKD8000. I sold it a couple of months ago for HKD4000 - and got lots of interest at that price. It was in excellent condition and I think if you can get a second-hand one, it might be worth it for you. It's a pretty robust stroller, so as long as it's been gently used, you should be fine with a second-hand one.

I used it with my newborn and his older brother (21 mths difference) for 2 years. In the beginning, the newborn was happy in the bassinet bit underneath. I have to admit though it's not very easy to slip the newborn in and out. But one positive thing is that as the bassinet is suspended and sways slightly with the movement of the stroller, the baby fell asleep almost immediately every time. When he got to about 4 mths old, he wasn't so happy in the little cocoon-like bassinet - not much of a view.

It was good to switch over at about 5mths to the little one sitting in the back seat (as reclined as possible) and the elder one in the front seat. They were happy with that arrangement for nearly 2 yrs, though the little one was getting a bit big and heavy for the back by the end.

The Phil & Ted's is bulky - I'm also about 5' 3" and while I could put it in and out of the car boot, I rarely took it out and about - just used it around where I live, going to the supermarket, dropping the elder one at nursery, etc. Never attempted to use it on public transport, that's for sure.

I don't think it's the perfect stroller - but I think it's about the best bet for a double stroller that you can get here and works particularly well with kids who are close in age. I did really like mine.

If you think you might get some use out of one, do buy second-hand and then re-sell on. You won't lose much.

HTH

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Agree with everything HonkyBlues says. My two were about 28 months apart and I mainly used it in my home country where it was perfect. But also didn't use it on public transport as it is too big and bulky, I'm also 5'3". Had no problems managing it with two kids in though, steers really well and can fit a fair bit of shopping.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Thanks for both of your thoughts. I think I pretty much want to get one, it's just a matter of finding a second hand one in the next 6 weeks. They seem to go like hotcakes around here.