Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Acupuncture for Labor Pain Management? Experiences?

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Question Acupuncture for Labor Pain Management? Experiences?

Has anyone here used acupuncture during labor for pain management? I am very keen to hear anyone's experience.

Thanks!

An article talking a bit about acupuncture used as an epidural replacement in France and Germany.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Hey Thanka2 - Acupuncture in HK is not regulated, so I wouldn't really trust it. I read an article a few months ago in the SCMP about that and about the number of deaths that have occurred here and (mostly) on the mainland. People mostly have died from infections received from the needles, and also from unintentional punctures inside and those places getting infected. Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    Hey Thanka2 - Acupuncture in HK is not regulated, so I wouldn't really trust it. I read an article a few months ago in the SCMP about that and about the number of deaths that have occurred here and (mostly) on the mainland. People mostly have died from infections received from the needles, and also from unintentional punctures inside and those places getting infected. Just something to think about.
    From what I've been reading and seeing is that using acupuncture for pain management in labor is actually pretty common in Europe and it's growing more common in the States. I was just wondering if anyone out there had tried it.

Oh, and I lived in ML China for a few years and had acupuncture done there many times (originally on the suggestion of a Chinese family I was pretty close with) and never had a bad experience--because I was really careful about the person I went to and made sure that all the equipment was sterile. Surely there must be safe places to have acupuncture done in Hong Kong. Does anyone have any experiences with acupuncture in Hong Kong?
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    From what I've been reading and seeing is that using acupuncture for pain management in labor is actually pretty common in Europe and it's growing more common in the States. I was just wondering if anyone out there had tried it.

Oh, and I lived in ML China for a few years and had acupuncture done there many times (originally on the suggestion of a Chinese family I was pretty close with) and never had a bad experience--because I was really careful about the person I went to and made sure that all the equipment was sterile. Surely there must be safe places to have acupuncture done in Hong Kong. Does anyone have any experiences with acupuncture in Hong Kong?
    Hey, I think I may have answered my own question. I'm going to inquire at the Optimal Health Center as I've been there before for colon hydrotherapy (colonics) and everything is very sterile and well-run. Here is a bit about Dr. Yuan.

Mother of Two

inkmink is offline Registered User

I'm 39wks, due any day now. Over the weekend, I have an upper backache. I have tried acupuncture for shoulder ache both in Australia and London and they work wonders - instant relief!

I wanted an instant relief so tried Vitality Center as I don't know anyone that can recommend someone good. Vitality Center had good feedback on infertility treatment and I figured they should have experience with pregnant women. Usually, after needles, they use cupping but I told them to be careful as I don't want to be induced. So, it was needles plus some massage. It did loosen my ache a little but didn't get rid of the pain completely. I didn't think the acupuncture was effective this time (could be the acupunturist or not using cupping technique) so have instead been visiting a local masseur for shoulder & back massage for the last few days. The ache is nearly gone.

I feel acupuncture does work but it is best done with recommendation.

Portia is offline Registered User

This article might be of interest to you. It suggests that acupuncture is not effective pain relief during labour.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...hildbirth.html

Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    This article might be of interest to you. It suggests that acupuncture is not effective pain relief during labour.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...hildbirth.html
    I read that already but I do believe that there is some anecdotal evidence (such as inkmink's above) that points that it may be effective for some women. I think that it would be worth a try--never know what will work for you in a labor situation. There are also other studies that point to acupuncture being one of the more widely chosen labor pain relief methods so....

So, what I'm looking for now is more information from women who have actually tried this themselves and the outcome.

Thanks again, inkmink for sharing.

Mother of Two