Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Considering a trip to India while 27 weeks pregnant with an 18 months old!

Violet A is offline Registered User

Considering a trip to India while 27 weeks pregnant with an 18 months old!

Hi,
    As my hubby will be travelling to India for work for 2 weeks in early January, I am considering following him for a few days with our 18 months old daughter. Now, is this crazy?? I have read so many scary stories of how you can get so sick in India (hubby has been to India twice before and came home sick both times). I don't think it would be a good idea for me to go after researching the internet but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has travelled to India while pregnant!

sunrays is offline Registered User

I could have gone, but didn't. As you say, food poisoning s not uncommon and why risk it when you are pregnant? I was sick twice really bad one time I went and the second time it took me ages to get better. Can't imagine going through that when pregnant. I'm sure you will have another chance to go. It is a fascinating country.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

no, no, no...if your hubby were away for a few months then there'd be something to consider...a few days - go another time. pregnant + an 18mth old is difficult anywhere you go if you don't have family there helping you out whenever you need it.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Wow, you must be very fit and in an easy pregnancy. I'm 31 weeks now and even a month ago, would never have considered such a trip, especially with my tot, and while my husband is there working. And I get enough food poisoning from eating in regular restuarants here in HK. I would definitely give that a miss if I were you.

matemate is offline Registered User

actually, the really big question is where you are going?

doing a roadtrip to agra? better not.

staying in the taj in bombay, go for it. probably much better and cleaner than any 5* hotel in hong kong.

india is a slightly big country, so broad brush doesn't really work here.

Violet A is offline Registered User

Hi all
    Bombay - I would have stayed in the hotel only - not much fun is it! I don't think I will go. No point risking food poisoning!! although, similar to my first pregnancy, I just crave hot curries and would have loved to have tasted the real authentic stuff in India!

geomum is offline Registered User

Seriously don't go. If you are staying inside a hotel the entire 2 weeks its not worth going anywhere actually. And going out in India is neither easy nor safe. Keeping a 18 month old in check and making sure her hands are clean all the time is a big thing. I went nuts washing my daughter's hands when I was there last month. Hygiene in most restaurants is highly questionable and food is way to spicy for non- Indian palette.