Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How many clothes?

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    Hey - a general rule that I use is to dress your baby in one extra layer than what you are wearing.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gataloca View Post
    As the weather is getting cold, I was just wondering how many clothes should my baby wear? How do I know it is enough?

I have read that we can check by feeling the baby back neck, and that if it feels warm, then the baby is warm. But I am concerned because I always get comments about how little clothes my baby is wearing, specially compared with the way Chinese people dress their children. I don't want my baby to caugh a cold, but I don't want him to get overheated due to his eczema.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Oh, local Chinese people will ALWAYS comment on how under-dressed your child is. The truth is that they actually tend to overdress their own children. My son's doctor is very well-known and respected and one of the first things he warned us against when my son was a newborn (which was in the wintertime in HK) is overdressing him.

Babies have a layer of fat for a reason so they actually are more insulated than we adults are. For the past few days when it's been cold we've dressed our son in layers. He wears a t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt and either a thick sweater or a jacket. We make sure he has a hat on his head and warm socks on his feet and when he goes out he wears a coat, shoes and gloves. If your child is sweating in their clothing, they are probably over-dressed. If you dress your child in layers then it's easier to adjust for temperature changes.

And don't let the comments of the HK grannies bother you. Whenever they tell me that either I or my child is underdressed, I remember that they have no idea what "real cold" is (in my home place right now it is well below zero and has been for weeks--as well as icy, windy and snowy).
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    actually, children who are over-dressed are as likely if not MORE likely to get sick.

and even though i'm originally from canada, i've been here for coming up to half of my life. i actually think that hk is colder in many respects. at least in canada we have insulation and central heating.
    Exactly. I never have to wear my winter gear inside my house back in the States even though I'm from the Northwest and it is FREEZING outside there right now. When I go inside I could walk around in a t-shirt and shorts because the homes are properly insulated and the heating systems work.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_top-cold...8773.bc?page=1

"Also you don't catch colds by getting too cold. You catch colds if your immune system isn't great."

Only a cold virus can give you a cold. So being cold, in itself, can't make you sick. But being cold and wet can cause a dormant virus (one that's already in your system) to flare up, triggering symptoms.
    In a 2005 study at Cardiff University's Common Cold Center in Wales, 90 volunteers immersed their feet in ice water for 20 minutes. Over the next five days, the chilled group had twice as many colds as a control group of 90 volunteers whose feet had not been not chilled.
    The researchers suggest that being chilled causes the blood vessels in the nose to constrict, shutting off the warm blood that supplies infection-fighting white blood cells. Many people are carrying around cold germs, they explain, but getting chilled can make it harder to fight off the effects.

True that getting chilled can make it more likely that you catch a cold. I experienced this last year at the coldest time of the year when on a windy night I didn't dress warmly enough and caught a really bad cold. But it also has something to do with your immune system. If one's immune system is truly in tip-top shape (and mine wasn't) even getting a bit cold is not going to automatically lead to sickness.

There is also a big difference in sticking one's feet in cold water for 20 minutes and not dressing in 10 layers when you go out into the mildly cold Hong Kong outdoors.

Comes down to parents knowing themselves and their own kids. It's just silly, though, that HK people feel that it is necessary to play "warm clothes police" with others' children. My husband is Hong Kong Chinese and he and his family truly believe that if a person sneezes it means that they are cold. But, there are many reasons why people sneeze--for example, inhaling dust or other allergens. It's very interesting that his family members see no other explanation for such phenomenon and they really think that as a foreigner, I must be crazy.

Mother of Two

carang is offline Registered User
    LOL! i know, my local hubby thinks the same thing about sneezing! too funny!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    yup - a sneeze and you're sick! sounds SO familiar! :)

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Yes, the sneezing myth. At the hospital the nurses explained us that babies don't have hair inside their nose to filter allergens, therefore they are more prone to sneeze. Same for babies cold feet... They don't walk or move them as much as we do, so it is normal for their feet to be cold. It doesn't mean they are cold.
    Posted via Mobile Device

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    Oh... yes, the sneezing comment. All too familiar.

I will also agree that locals in general overdress their children. I am living in Beijing now, and all babies here are wrapped up like big fat dumplings. I wouldn't be surprised if their development were affected.... how can they move?! I dress my daughter accordingly for the day's weather, not for the season. I feel that once it's winter, everyone brings out the big coats, mittens, hats and starts layering them on.

Not only do babies have more fat to keep them warm, they also have very speedy metabolism ...

As for the immune system, a strong one helps us fight off the viruses/germs that come our way!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12