Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

The Real Deal With Cloth Diapers in Hong Kong?

ozmerc is offline Registered User

evgreen - I've been using charlie banana diapers for a week now for my newborn. I bought 'one size' and they are pretty big on a 4kg baby, but both the waist and legs are adjustable. They seem to be fine - no major leakages so far (though a newborn doesn't produce that much!) and I'm happy with them. I chose them for the price (around $750 for about 6 diapers and inserts) plus they have a disposable system option (disposable inserts instead of cloth inserts) and they say to wash them in cold water or water less than 40 C. We only have cold water at home and some cloth diaper brands recommend warm to hot water. I figured out that we'd pay for them in around 2-3 months by using them in place of disposables.

evgreen is offline Registered User

thanks, ozmerc. very useful information. I'll probably give them a try. the amazon reviews look promising as well.

evgreen is offline Registered User

I just bought 12 size small Charlie banana diapers from 360. They are on promotion for $719/pack of six. It's even cheaper than the web sale price offered on Charliebanana.com...apparently they are a HK based company made in china which makes me feel better about buying from a local company!

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by evgreen View Post
    Hi ladies,

Have you had a chance to try to Charlie Banana diapers yet? I'm curious to know the results. Any problems with leaking? I saw them at Jason's marketplace and they seem decently priced.

Thanks!
    Not yet, but that's only because my baby hasn't arrived yet!

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User

FYI- read online somewhere there was a controversy over Charlie Banana copying Fuzzibunz's design. From what I saw, the story goes that Charlie Banana owner was manufacturing for Fuzzibunz for awhile and then the relationship spoiled and Charlie Banana company was born... Who knew cloth diapers were such a cut-throat business :P

Last edited by hkexpat2010; 07-13-2011 at 02:35 PM.

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User

Another question, what type of detergent is everyone using for their cloth diapers? In US they seem to have a bunch of special brands, but not sure what's available in Hong Kong that won't damage the diapers.

I'll be washing BumGenius and FuzziBunz...

Thanks!

lalligirl is offline Registered User

I just use my regular detergent (usually Earth's Choice), but only a tiny tiny amount. I also do an extra rinse. Too much detergent can decrease their absorbency.

I use baby beehinds, but i'm sure the following tips would be useful for any brand.

http://www.babybeehinds.com.au/store...Advice-d29.htm

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

I use Bubba Moo an Aussie brand (I have a few others but that is by far my favourite as they are 1 size fits all and have lasted from 3 months to 25 months so far, with great absorbency and minimal leaks) and they recommend washing without any detergent, then every month or so (or more frequently if smelly) do a strip wash using a few drops of dishwashing detergent. We also wash in cold water and only do the strip wash in hot. This is economical, environmentally friendly and the nappies are fine. I dry on a drying rack in the sun where possible (on balcony if dry or not too humid, in front of the window if not) as the UV makes a huge difference to both stains and smell and using the dryer is not good for absorbency or life of the nappies, especially the covers. I was concerned how i would go in HK as they were line dried outside in Australia in a very dry environment, but it has been fine. I dry pail them in between and wash every two days. I also use flushable and biodegradable nappy liners most of the time as this helps with minimises poo stains and having to scrape it off which is often not that easy!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast