Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

The Real Deal With Cloth Diapers in Hong Kong?

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    Just back from my trip to the US and bought 6 Grovia hybrid shells with 12 soaker pads and 10 Fuzzibunz one size pocket diapers based on recommendations from friends. (BTW- fuzzibunz US has a promo going on when you buy 6 diapers in US you get 2 free. They actually sent me 3 free diapers :D )

Really hope I can stick with cloth diapering now :P Have heard alot of people give up early on...

Now all i need is a baby! 3 more months to go :D

erina320 is offline Registered User
    I love our cloth diapers and find them MUCH easier than disposable. They almost never leak. Where as disposable, in my experience, almost always leak.

I've been using the same Bumgenius one size pocket diapers for almost 4 years now. Started with the first and passed down to the second. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I checked into Bumgenius and found out that to buy them in HK they're $26 USD/diaper! Heard from my friend in the States that she paid $17 USD/diaper--still not very affordable for me. That's waaaay too rich for my blood! Yes, they are "the best" (at least my friends claim that) but at this point, I'm not going to fork over that much per diaper--my husband would have a huge problem with that too. I have friends in the States who use the old-fashioned, fold-em-yourself diapers and did find with those but I'm simply not ambitious enough to deal with that and my husband who changes many more diapers than I do would not be okay with it. So, gotta find that "happy medium." Never had any real problem with leaky disposable diapers in our house--but we also use a brand name.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

swiflet412 is offline Registered User
    There's an online shop based in Macau, www.doubibou.com -- they sell BumGenius diapers and other pocket diapers too. When I ordered lots, they delivered it to my office address on HK island with a courier. But they can also send via regular mail too.

They also sell microfiber inserts -- the way to get rid of the persistent wee smell is to soak the diapers and the inserts in baking soda for some hours (I do it overnight). Then, wash them with detergent and vinegar (to bring up the pH balance after soaking with baking soda). It works wonder.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by swiflet412 View Post
    There's an online shop based in Macau, www.doubibou.com -- they sell BumGenius diapers and other pocket diapers too. When I ordered lots, they delivered it to my office address on HK island with a courier. But they can also send via regular mail too.

They also sell microfiber inserts -- the way to get rid of the persistent wee smell is to soak the diapers and the inserts in baking soda for some hours (I do it overnight). Then, wash them with detergent and vinegar (to bring up the pH balance after soaking with baking soda). It works wonder.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!
    Yes. This is the website I'm referring to where Bumgenius diapers are $26 USD/diaper. I still haven't 100% decided if I'm going to do cloth diapers or not. They seem like a lot of work--soaking in two different liquids? Washing, drying--extra stuff to stick inside of them? Uh.... None of us in my house have that sort of time. :(
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

evgreen is offline Registered User
    hi swiflet412, how much vinegar do you add per load (and how many diapers per load)? Just curious. I bought a whole bunch of cloth diapers and have not started using them yet.

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    if mine get stinky, i just put a bit (a bit = a good shake!) of baking soda directly into the drum of the washing machine - that works well & much easier than soaking. but i find that if i wash every second day & do an extra rinse cycle, they're fine - especially if you can dry them outside (not always possible in hk, i know!). According to the trouble shooting guide for the nappies i use, a build up of detergent can cause the smells, so if you only use a teeny tiny amount of detergent & do the extra rinse you should be fine.

ozmerc is offline Registered User
    Just an update - still using Charlie Banana cloth diapers for my 10 week old and so far so good! The biggest thing is hanging them in the sunlight to dry - makes a big difference. Even indirect sunlight is pretty effective on the stains.

I bought my second box of 6 CB diapers + 12 pads from threesixty but accidently got the medium size instead of one size. I can't return them because I washed them before I realised my mistake. They look as if they would fit 6 months plus. If anyone would like to buy them, they are brand new, have never been used. I paid about $750 for them but would sell them for half that. PM me if interested!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast