Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

The Real Deal With Cloth Diapers in Hong Kong?

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    I love my Charlie Bananas! Really a great nappy. I thought cloth diapering was going to be much more of a hassle than what it ended up being!

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    Update 2: LO is 9 months now and we use a mix of cloth and disposable. The disposables are convenient when there will be a poo and for going out, but we try to use cloth when staying at home for the day.

The liners are very helpful to catch poop! I've only tried Bummis, but like them alot.

Fuzzibunz are working well, after getting my bad batch replaced, and there are no stains or smells (although LO usually doesn't poo in them)! Still haven't used the Grovias yet. They don't seem as comfortable as the Fuzzibunz or like they will absorb as well, but I still want to give them a try soon!

One thing to keep in mind is how to deal with diaper rash when using cloth diapers. Grovia has a diaper stick that you can still use with theirs, but I think Fuzzibunz says not to use any type of rash cream. To be honest, I use the Grovia stick once in a awhile with the Fuzzibunz and haven't any problems yet, but it's very rarely.

Lastly, I change the cloth diapers quite often since they don't have any indicator (like some of the disposables) to let you know the diaper is wet. But, I"m sure that's healthier for the baby's bottom anyway :D

zzsp23 is offline Registered User
    Fast forward to 2013!
    Ive just bought a pack of 6 charlie banana one size nappies to try as we don't know if we can keep it up. I in the process of prepping the nappies now and just wondering....
    Does anyone here use a supermarket or local brand of washing detergent for the nappies? I've actually just been washing them with Vigor33 Baby detergent and wondered if anyone else has found an (inexpensive) detergent brand easily found in wellcome or parkns hop?

We will try wet pailing first because my helper and I are horrified at the thought of throwing dirty dry pailed nappies into the machine.

I want to soak thr nappies in something sanitary like napisan, but it seems that it will ruin them?

Hence my issue with pockets... The shell shouldn't be soaked due to the fleece and waterproof outer, but it's actually the shell that gets poo on it, not the insert? Getting confused!
    Really want to give this a proper go, but it all seems so fancy with special detergents, bioliners etc...seems the cost and hassle is above what I originally expected!

Any tips for a cloth nappy newbie especially in the upcoming humid months? We will wash every day or maximum 2 days, they won't go mouldy right?

Thanks in advance!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    I'm a CB newbie myself -still struggling to get a good fit. It says on their website you can soak the diaper and insert in water. It also says no bleach or fabric conditioner, but doesn't mention sanitiser. I guess you could email them to check?

Just sent an email off to them. Will update on reply.

Aquarian, are you getting leaks from them? Do you mind sharing your cleaning routine?
    I'm planning to buy a lockable plastic tub, spray gun and store the nappies in water.
    And do an extra rinse cycle after the 40degree wash.

Have only prepped the inserts twice, 3 more times to go!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks mobile app

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    To be honest I'm still not really using them much.

The first time it leaked badly (my fault I think as I can't work out how to do it up well). The other couple of times they just got soaked so fast it felt like I was permanently changing him. All we did was rinse them off really well in the loo (using the shower hose), then husband handwashed them before we stuck them in the washer. But this was because we only used a couple. If I 'switched' I'd want a pail, napisan etc.

I want to love them, but they just seem to be such a hassle :(
    rani likes this.

Oh dear, I'm hoping our experience will turn out better! My husband has already professed an extreme reluctance to rinse them!

Charlie banana have replied:
    We do have few detergent brands we recommend that we have tested with our products: Charlie Banana® Laundry Detergent, Meyers, Zuma's Soap,Charlie's Soap, Eco nuts, Eco Vert.

Please make sure your detergent is free of enzymes, bleach activators, anti-redeposition agents, optical brighteners and perfumes -- these will clog the fabric pores, causing detergent buildup and leaking.

I don't think I've seen any of those brands of laundry powder in my local supermarket!
    I might have to suck it up and make a trip to city super or something to get one of those detergents until I can find something more accessible. Would hate to have this whole thing fail cos I didn't follow the instructions!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks mobile app

prettynvain is offline Registered User
    I'll be using Grovia and Alva.. Prepped it 3x already using Charlie's soap.. Baby's coming anytime now.. But for the first week i'll be using Grovia's bio-soaker first..

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast