Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

wisdom of getting pregnant when both husband and wife are unemployed

carang is offline Registered User
    also, keep in mind, you don't get to choose your public hospital, it's done according to area of residence.

bagel is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the replies and information. No, we are not strapped for cash now, but we don't want to get there either!

I live in NT and I would want the Prince of Wales because of their neonatal unit. So, how to make this happen? Choose a doctor there? Is that how it works?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    You need to have a postal address in their catchment area. Some people go to hospitals outside of their catchment area by sending mail addressed to them to a friend's house in the catchment area and then using that address as if it is their own. Note that if you do that, any correspondence between the hospital and you will go to your friends address. The honest thing to do is to go to the hospital closest to your home.

all of the maternity hospitals in hk will have a neo-natal unit, at least, all of the public ones anyway.

for the public system, you do not get to choose your doctor. you register with the delivery hospital and they will assign you an appt day/time. you show up and follow their instructions. at public hospitals you are not guaranteed of seeing the same doctor each time. one of the cons of using the public system.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I am in the Tuen Mun catchment area but did not want to attend that hospital as I had heard some not nice thngs about the hospital so I wanted to go to QM or PWH. My OB (Dr Doo) wrote me a referral letter and explained that due to issues in my previous pregnancy I wanted to attend a hospital with a good neo natal unit. QM refused ths but PWH had no problems with it so I went there and it was fine.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    all of the maternity hospitals in hk will have a neo-natal unit, at least, all of the public ones anyway.

for the public system, you do not get to choose your doctor. you register with the delivery hospital and they will assign you an appt day/time. you show up and follow their instructions. at public hospitals you are not guaranteed of seeing the same doctor each time. one of the cons of using the public system.
    But good luck even seeing a doctor in the public system from about weeks 16-36, unless there's something wrong or complicated with your pregnancy. I've only seen nurses who don't give a rats &$% about me or my queries, because i appear fine. I've got my 32 week appt tomorrow and I'm thinking of making up something just so i can have a word with a doctor.

not negating your experience in any way, but if she is 37 already, then chances are they will be looking at her pregnancy as a possible high risk already, just from her age (not guaranteed). as i've stated many times before, my experience with the public system is completely different except for one nurse who i wanted to shoot! my bp at the appt was 176/116 and all she could say was, 'if you REALLY think it's serious, maybe you should go to A & E!' which i did.... within a week, i was put on the high-risk "team" and have nothing but good things to say about them...however, for my first, i was never assessed as high-risk, and i still saw doctors(occasionally they were interns) at my visits...

bagel is offline Registered User
    Thanks all for the discussion. AmyH thank you for sharing how you did it.

My first pregnancy at 34 was easy peasy but at the last minute I had complications in that when my water broke, my baby had meconium aspiration in the womb and cord was found to be around his neck and he needed to be transferred immediately to ICU for 6 hours after I had emergency C-section. If this were to repeat in a hospital without neo-natal ICU the outcome would be undesirable.

I understand from reading the previous posts here that only Prince of Wales and QMH have neo-natal ICU. Cara is correct that just due to my age, I should be viewed as a possible high risk (at 34 I was viewed that way as well).

Like AmyH I haven't heard good things about the hospital in Tuen Mun either and I live in this area. How about Tsuen Wan Adventist for the ante-natal part? Any one seen OBGYN doctors there?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast