Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

wisdom of getting pregnant when both husband and wife are unemployed

bagel is offline Registered User

wisdom of getting pregnant when both husband and wife are unemployed

Hello,

I am debating the wisdom of getting pregnant with my second child when both myself and my husband are unemployed. I feel the urgency as I will be 37 soon whereas husband feels that since he has been unemployed for 1.5 years it is irresponsible to have financial expenditures associated with pregnancy, delivery etc etc. I understand the concern, especially not knowing how much longer this unemployed phase will last however, my advanced maternal age is of concern and feel ready for the second.

Having gone through this geobaby site, I am inclined to choose Prince of Wales in Shatin because of their neo natal unit. My question is: can people give me an idea of the cost of pregnancy tests, delivery if we choose this hospital? When people say, pregnancy tests and delivery costs next to nothing at public hospitals what do they mean? I can't seem to find the answer in this site.

If we switch to a new health insurance plan in HK, we need to wait 8 months for maternity cover to kick in. Am I right? Our current insurance cover is only 65%.

Would appreciate some information! Thank you!

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I am not sure about the cost of pregnancy tests etc but I delivered in PWH. It was an emergency c-section and I was in for 3 nights - total cost $350 HK.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Also, I did have some pre-natal appointments to register at the hospital and some check ups (but no scans) and this did not cost anything.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I would just do it personally. 9 months is a long time and things can change fast.
    I'm almost in my 8th month of pregnancy and aside from anything private, I haven't paid a cent. I heard that the charge in the public hospitals for delivery is basically $100 a night.
    This is my second child and most people practically told me to wait bc of our own personal situation, but I just went ahead anyway. Can't wait!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    I know IHI makes you wait 1 year before being able to claim maternity for their insurance...would double check to be sure as they can all vary.

also, i'd have the baby - you probably have reserves so financially you guys are fine - considering your hubby can be without a job for 1.5yrs, it sounds to be that things should be fine financially. having said that have you thought of when is the latest you'd have a kid? before 40? did you fall pregnant easily the first time around or did it take ages? if it was "easy" then you could wait....but the stress of wanting one will probably take a tool on the baby making process...so, my advice would be to just go for it and let nature take it's path! :)

carang is offline Registered User
    i agree, i know it would be absolutely terrifying for both you and hubby, but if you wait, you may not have another chance.

the other thing is that somehow, you ALWAYS make it work when a baby is involved, be it buying second-hand, accepting donations from friends etc, but in the end, you ALWAYS make it work.

just to let you know, i was hospitalised A LOT over 2 pregnancies in a public hospital. it was $100/day, baby was $50 (if memory serves). all necessary meds were either free or $10/scrip.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Bagel I would think carefully and have a serious talk with your hubby. Financial stress is one of the major reasons why a marriage implodes, another source of stress is the arrival of new babies as they take so much out of you (although to be fair they give much more back in return but it is exhausting).
    If you have the financial reserves and all it would take is a downgrade in the accommodation, buying secondhand (like Cara suggested), eating out less etc then by all means, as if you really, really want number 2, go for it. But if your financial situation is not so robust (this is a relative thing in the eyes of the beholder and only you and your hubby truly know) then you really need to think carefully and don't paint your hubby in a corner. Hope this helps and goodluck.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think I'd go for it personally - but as mummymoo mentioned, I would have a think about what other financial sacrifices you would be able to make if you really did need it.

I know I had a plan to wait until we were married for a year and then start trying to have a baby after that, and have a baby by our second anniversary. But life didn't happen like that - since we were planning to move here after our first anniversary, we decided to wait for a while, then we started trying around our second anniversary but it took us a year to conceive first time around - so by the time that we had a child, we'd already been married for close to four years.

Life doesn't go exactly how we plan it - and when it comes to having kids, my opinion is that if you want a child, then sooner is often better than later because later, ANYTHING could happen and then you might be left with regrets. Generally people wouldn't regret having a child - even if the timing wasn't ideal. You're much more likely to regret NOT having one. Yes, you might have to sacrifice some things, or change the way you do things to fit a child into your family... but it's worth it :) :)

That's just my opinion anyway :)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast