Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ultrasound at 16 Week

rs2000 is offline Registered User

Ultrasound at 16 Week

Hi All,

Dr. Gosh did an Ultrasound yesterday and told me that I am having a girl.
    The baby's position was'nt good at first and he asked me to wlak a bit and then had a look at it. he looked comfortable that it was a girl.

I am wondering if there are any chances that his diagonosis might be wrong? Has it ever happened to anyone here before (especially wit Dr. Gosh).

I have a girl and i was hoping this 2nd child to be a boy.

Need your help here.

thanks a lot.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    With my first pregnancy I was told I was having a girl on four separate scans (it was the normal ultrasounds, not the 3D one) and I had a boy. My second pregnancy, I had the 3D ultrasounds and they told me I was having a girl and they were right.

Hi AmyH

Thanks for the reply. do you it was related to the expertise of the people who did the scans?
    was there some explanation given to you later for the wrong diagonosis at those 4 scans?

It gives me some hope. My next appointment is on 17 Jan. He had a 2D scan.
    The only worrying thing is that I head Dr.Gosh teaches ultrasound at some univ. and is quite good.

thanks again
    If anyone else has some experiences to share, please let me know.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    There was no explanation given for why it happened, but I didn't ask to be honest because he was born very premature so I was just grateful he was alive. With my daughter, on the 16 week scan when the doctor confirmed she was a girl I had explained the previous experience with him and when he checked he said, I think she s a girl but she does have the chord in between her legs so we will check again next time!

JayJay is offline Registered User
    There's always a chance, however minute, for the doctor to be wrong in determining the gender. But if you want to be extra sure, just get a second or third opinion.

Did you ask for your doctor to tell you the gender or did he/she asked you if you wanted to know? If he/she asked you if you wanted to know without you prompting, then they should be near 100% sure.

My wife and I were (accurately) informed of our twins' gender at 12 weeks. So at 16 weeks, your doctor should be quite certain if he chose to tell you.

yes he chose to tell me, he asked me if I wanted to know
    :-(

banane76 is offline Registered User
    It depends on the doctor, but it's never 100%. Our Dr. Patrick Chan told us at 13, 16, and then 20 weeks (in my first pregnancy) that we were having a girl. The 20 week scan, he said he was 90% sure and that we could go shopping :) He was right. This time around, he suspected boy at 13 weeks and confirmed again at the 20 week scan that it's a boy. We're going to trust him but you never know...doctors are human too. We are gonna be happy either way as long as the baby is healthy!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I went to a very confident doctor to find out. He told me it was a girl, 90%. Then she moved, and he said ok, 99%. I have since seen the evidence on later ultrasounds myself.
    If he teaches ultrasound, he should be pretty reliable. You can get a second opinion, but nothing will change between now and your next ultrasound. Maybe you can just wait, and try to come to terms with having another girl.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast